Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Today marks 43 years since the last day of outbound passenger services from Sheffield Victoria ( 04-01-1970 )
I was there - it was a cold dark night. The train left Platform 3 with a bang - or rather, several bangs (a row of detonators on the line). Three or four railway policemen were keeping order on the platform, including a mean-looking plain-clothes man in a trilby. A sad day..:( Edited by hillsbro

I was a fireman at Darnall Loco from 1963 until it closed in 1965 then I was stationed at Tinsley loco. I did many trips through Victoria, local goods trips between Bernard Road Sidings, Bridgehouses, Harvest Lane, Neepsend Gasworks, Neepsend Power Station and up to Wadsley Bridge.The first passanger train I ever worked on was on Christmas Eve, from The Vic. to Retford. We used to work to Lincoln, Doncaster and Cleethorpes, Darnall men used to work the Master Cutler to Kings Cross, but I never got on it, I did get a

s far as Banbury once with the York-Bournmouth, which reversed at the Vic.

Happy days,happy memories, wish I could do it all over again.

i remember those steps from the wicker they seemed to go on forever i used to go to manchester on a regular basis to see our clarence so you know who it is speak to you soon

• 4 weeks later...

I remember Victoria Station well as I was the Station Electrician for 3 years and had too move to Tinsley Marshalling Yard on its closure. It was a great place to work with an underpass too the platforms where the toilets were. Old hands had a key to the booths but I didn't and had to pay a penny to go, their was an enquiry office at the front where a very attractive young woman worked funnily enough called Victoria. She was far too good for me of course but I must admit she bought me the odd drink or two in the refreshment rooms on occasion,arr happy days.

Edited by macstewart

I remember Victoria Station well as I was the Station Electrician for 3 years and had too move to Tinsley Marshalling Yard on its closure

We used Sheffield Victoria a lot my dad being a railway man I will never understand why it closed after spending money on electrification which was fast to Manchester even now a faster service than from Midland Stn.My dad worked at Tinsley Marshalling Yard from the first day it opened he was West end yard Forman.I followed suit by being a messenger lad at Bridgehouses Goods yard from school thanks for the memories

Hi 25195348 - yes, memories indeed! Sheffield Victoria closed as a result of the second Beeching Report which stated that British Railways could not afford to run two Sheffield-Manchester passenger services. By 1970 Victoria Station had lost its eastbound services, thanks to some new track work at Nunnery Junction that enabled them to run into the Midland Station. Although the Woodhead line to Manchester was faster, the Hope Valley route was chosen, and so passenger trains via Woodhead ended in January 1970 and Victoria Station closed. Until 1981 Sheffield-Huddersfield trains ran from the Midland Station, first to Nunnery Junction, where they then reversed and continued through what remained of Victoria Station and on via Deepcar and Penistone. The Woodhead route closed completely in 1981, by which time the Trans-Pennine coal traffic (the main reason why the line was electrified) had declined. Sheffield-Huddersfield trains then ran via Barnsley, Silkstone Common and Penistone as they still do now.

In the 1950s a few trains still went from Sheffield Midland via the Hope Valley line to Manchester, even after the fast electrified service via Woodhead had begun. An example from the 1956 timetable was the 5-32 pm departure, which stopped at "Heeley, Millhouses, Dore & Totley and all stations to Manchester (Central) via Stockport". This train would have gone via Stockport (Tiviot Dale) station, Didsbury and Chorlton-cum-Hardy: another section of line that closed under Beeching.

I remember it well used it many times 50s/60s.

My friends and i had a large home made trolly we use to carry peoples suitcases on it from Victoria Station to mostly the Bus stations it saved them carrying them we charged them a small fee of course.