Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Hi basset one - you brought back a few memories by mentioning Torksey! It's a long time since I cast a line but I think the fishing is still good there (as is the Saturday car boot sale!)

Here is a link to an old thread about 1960s weekend fishermen's trains. And to take us all back, here is a list of stations between Sheffield and Boston, with some very familiar names to anglers:

..Sheffield Victoria (photo)

..Darnall photo

..Woodhouse,

..Kiveton Bridge

..Kiveton Park

..Shireoaks (photo)

..Worksop (painting)

..Retford (photo)

..Leverton

..Cottam (photo)

..Torksey (photo)

..Saxilby (photo)

..Lincoln Central (photo)

..Five Mile House (photo)

..Bardney (photo)

..Southrey (photo

..Stixwould (photo))

..Woodhall Junction (photo)

..Dogdyke (two photos, the first with an angler)

..Langrick (photo)

..Boston (photo

Note: I've not included stations that closed before 1955.

hi thanks for the photos it also reminded me I also went to bardney fishing once in those days early sixties a day out on a beach or countryside or fishing was great fresh air and something to talk about for weeks,it makes one think how times have changed for many in todays society if it doesn't cost a lot or if its not in the house its of no intrest and I think theres lots of great days out that don't cost a lot but can be of intrest thanks bassett one

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting old postcard (a real photo, taken at the bottom of the approach road) is being offered on eBay at present, with the reference No 290891729889. With a starting bid of £14.99 it isn't cheap but here is a link to a copy I've downloaded. The sign reading GREAT CENTRAL ROYAL VICTORIA STATION HOTEL dates the photo to before about 1922 when the Great Central Railway became part of the LNER.

i can remember most sundays in the fifties going mostly to bardney the whole family five of us catching bus at bottom of portland st getting off bottom of snig hill then walking up to victoria stn.iwas terrified of getting lost in the crowds fishing all day then worrying about missing last train back .also remember during school hols buying a platform ticket for tuppence and travelling up and down sheffield all day remembering to finish up back at victoria happy days

My grandfather worked at Victoria,hed worked on the railways from leaving school,i saw him up there a few times,im pretty sure he drove a large 3 wheeled wagon of some description.....my other grandad traveled over from europe,he caught the boat train from Harwich and always came into Victoria,in the later 60s it was often the only train that ran that day,it was quite eerie seeing the place so deserted as id been used to seeing quite busy in the early part of the 60s

Hello

Some people may not be aware but their used to be 2 ( main ) train stations in Sheffield.

Sheffield Victoria Station closed on the 5th January 1970 despite a public outcry

The station was the scene in 1954 of the first “mainline” electric train service from Sheffield to Manchester, the station also served places like London Marylebone, Leicester, Rugby, Lincoln, Skegness, Cleethorpes to name a few

After closure the line from Sheffield Victoria – Hadfield/Manchester/Wath became a freight only line until 20th July 1981 when BR closed the line between Deepcar-Hadfield & Penistone-Wath

Sheffield Midland- Huddersfield passenger services continued to travel through the station until the 15th May 1983

The station buildings were demolished in 1987 and all that remains today are the outlines of the subway walls and some outlines of platform 5

A group of us have started a Sheffield Victoria Station facebook page which you will find the link for at the bottom.

We would love to hear from anyone who travelled from Sheffield Victoria or visited the station when it was closed.

You can leave your comments on here or on our facebook page

Thanks

SVS Admin Team

Yes, I regularly travelled from Victoria on the Master Cutler, sometimes hauled by the Flying Scotsman engine. I am talking about 1949/1951. I think the last journey I made on that line (Nottinghem/Leicester/Marylebone) would be Autumn 1951. This was the main route from Sheffield to London at that time and certainly the quickest.

Don Turner.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 10:29 ----------

I'm not sure how this system is working so I'll repeat what I have already posted (if I have).

Yes, I regularly travelled from Victoria to London on the Master Cutler (Nottingham, Leicester, Marylebone) frequently hauled by the Flying Scotsman engine. This was in the period 1949/1951. My last journey on that line would be Autumn 1951.

If I can be of any further help I will be pleased to try !

Don Turner.