Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Hi rossyrooney - I remember Charlie Husbands' shop on the corner of Aston Street and Bernard Road (here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo). He did a roaring trade in the summer months selling Tizer, sweets etc. to us kids who sat on the wall opposite. If he'd stocked the trainspotters' staple food (Lyons fruit pies - eightpence from the station buffet) I reckon he could have retired earlier..:)

I went to Crewe in the early 60s with my mum on a steam train from Victoria we also went on a club trip from there I think it was to Cleethorpes. Some of the drivers used to let me and my mates sit in the trains cab and we used to pretend to drive them no chance these days with all the H&S rules.

Hi - I used to travel when a child from Sheffield Victoria to Retford - I remember stations such as Kiveton Bridge, Shireoaks, Worksop.When we got off the train at Retford, we would go over the 'coal drops', which was a step bridge over the line where the steam trains used to get coal 'dropped' into the tender. What a sight coming home,tired with bags full of fruit and vegetables from the smallholding we visited, and seeing all the smoke and flames from the steel works as we crossed the bridge in Attercliffe - Happy Days!

for some reason we used to call it the G.C. not the LNER dont know why, i know the midland was THE LONDON MIDLAND SCOTTISH

Originally the Manchester - Sheffield - London Marylebone line was owned by the Great Central Railway - I think.

Originally the Manchester - Sheffield - London Marylebone line was owned by the Great Central Railway - I think.

Victoria Station was built by:

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway( was formed by the merger of the

Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway

Sheffield and Lincolnshire Junction Railway

Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway)

Became the Great Central in 1897 when the route to Marylebone was being built.

Grouped into the London and North Eastern Railway system in 1923.

In 1948, when it became British Railways' Eastern Region.

Midland Station was built by:

The Midland Railway became the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923and in 1948 it became British Railways' Midland Region and became British Railways' Eastern Region in 1958

Edited by Annie Bynnol

As a young boy, i lived in the old railway cottages opposite the Durham Ox pub on Cricket Inn Rd, My father worked for the railway all his life doing different jobs, and i was really lucky because sometimes at weekends he would take me with him if he was going anywhere interesting e.g Donny sheds, Donny plant, millhouses, barrow hill. As a trainspotter like others have said i used to wait for the "Brit" coming in at one o, clock before i went back to school at St, Johns, C.I.R. they were good times as i remember.

Trainspotting. Armed with two copies of Leslie Allens LMS & LNER, we used to go to the crossover where you could spot both sets of lines.. elf n safety would not allow it now.

I went there in 1958. As you say, its a good spot as you get bot LNER and LMR lines.