Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

my dad george williams was a passenger guard there before having to work at midland station . i can remember as a little girl going with him to get his wages .my uncle was a porter there. sometimes we would use the steps from the wicker but usually we would walk up to the main entrance past the victoria hotel. i can remember the steam trains and to this day love the smell of them .

Passengers weren't stopping at Victoria during this time but they were still passing through on the Sheffield to Huddersfield via Penistone services which reversed at Nunnery sidings and took the lines through Victoria.

Edited by darylslinn

• 3 weeks later...

School holidays often saw me off on the train to my Gran and Grandfathers, at Linby near Hucknall. Sometimes I got left there to stay for a week or more. It once took hours to get there because of engineering work.

I took my first ever photograph on Victoria Station in 1954 - VictoriaStation_zps306b2ded.jpg

Edited by crookes

Hi crookes - an interesting photo! The ex-Great Central J11 looks like 64422 from Retford (36E) shed. The single headlamp indicates a slow/branch passenger service; it may have arrived with a such a train from that area, perhaps returning with the 3.42 pm "all stations to Retford" that is shown in the 1954 timetable.

My late Father and his family lived on Parkwood Springs where many railway families lived.

My Grandfather and two of my uncles were drivers. My Paternal Great Grandfather was also an engine driver back in 1878.

My Maternal Grandfather was also a driver who worked out of Darnel Loco sheds until his death around 1950.

We travelled regularly to Penistone from Victoria where my Grandfather and Grandmother had retired to.

Victoria was an LNER line and the Midland was LMS. The only time I went from Victoria was on the milk run very early in the morning to go fishing in a lake near Worksop,I think it was called Langdale or similar.

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 20:15 ----------

On a slightly different tack. When I was stationed at Catterick Camp in 1947/8 time I would travel by train from Sheffield Midland to Darlington and then catch the Flyer into camp centre. On Darligton station was one of the first engines ever built, in my ignorance I thought it was the Rocket but somebody said no it was a slightly later model. I often sat on the plinth waiting for the Flyer.

Does anyone know anything about it.