Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

• 1 month later...
Hello

Some people may not be aware but their used to be 2 ( main ) train stations in Sheffield.

Sheffield Victoria Station closed on the 5th January 1970 despite a public outcry

The station was the scene in 1954 of the first “mainline” electric train service from Sheffield to Manchester, the station also served places like London Marylebone, Leicester, Rugby, Lincoln, Skegness, Cleethorpes to name a few

After closure the line from Sheffield Victoria – Hadfield/Manchester/Wath became a freight only line until 20th July 1981 when BR closed the line between Deepcar-Hadfield & Penistone-Wath

Sheffield Midland- Huddersfield passenger services continued to travel through the station until the 15th May 1983

The station buildings were demolished in 1987 and all that remains today are the outlines of the subway walls and some outlines of platform 5

A group of us have started a Sheffield Victoria Station facebook page which you will find the link for at the bottom.

We would love to hear from anyone who travelled from Sheffield Victoria or visited the station when it was closed.

You can leave your comments on here or on our facebook page

Thanks

SVS Admin Team

i got a train to Ipswich from there in the 60s

i got a train to Ipswich from there in the 60s
That would be the mid-afternoon "Harwich boat train" that linked the two ports of Liverpool and Parkeston Quay. It arrived from Manchester behind an EM2 electric loco, then the Stratford "Britannia" or "B1" that had brought it from Harwich in the morning took over, having taken on water and coal at Darnall. Some of the coaches had stickers on the windows stating that the seats were all reserved for shipping line passengers. The train had its origins in the days when ocean-going liners would arrive at Liverpool with passengers who wanted to continue on to places served by the Harwich steamers. Eventually it didn't serve Liverpool, and for a time ran from Glasgow & Edinburgh (with the name "The European") via the West Coast Main Line, Manchester, the Hope Valley line to Sheffield and then as before to Parkeston Quay. Edited by hillsbro

My dad and I travelled regularly on a football special from Darnall to Wadsley Bridge,via Sheffield Victoria.I believe it started at Worksop or Retford.It was very popular,nearly always filled up at Victoria,but stopped suddenly about 1962.

me and my mate jimmy would walk into town from gleadless with heavy whicker basket and rod bog went from victoris to Lincolnshire to go fishing a long walk xx

..and London General

Whereabouts in London was that?

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 02:35 ----------

I never knew that and I lived most of my early years in the Wicker.

Did you live at a pub? as there wasn't too many houses in the Wicker, and did you go to Burngreave school?

I recall making a Journey fro Sheffield Victoria Station to Padgate when I started my National Service, This was on a Thursday 12th April 1952.

And My Grandfather John William England who lived at "The Old Mill Cottage" 26 Edmund Road used to have Waggons in the goods yard and used to get Coal; from the Nottingham Mines this was in the 1920/30's

Gordon England (Scarborough)