Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

This was before the Lincoln trains began to go via Gainsborough. The direct line closed in 1959 but Torksey Bridge over the Trent is apparently still intact. .:)

Designed by John Fowler -Sheffields' most important engineer.

Sustrans have repainted the bridge and have worked on the deck.

Work is being done now to complete a link between the existing

pedestrian facilities and the future railway path over the river Trent.

I presume you mean the Royal Victoria in Sheffield?

In the late 70's or early 80's when living away from Sheffield I was sent on a management training course hel at the Royal Victoria. I was most surprised to still find it full of railway references e.g. the wallpaper on the ground floor had as a motif the Great Central Railway coat of arms and the function rooms were named after stations on, I believe the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway e.g. Grimsby. I may be wrong and they could just as well have been Great Central stations.

That's the one, sorry about missing the Royal bit, from what I can remember of it, going in there for a working class bloke was like entering another world.

The only time I recall using the Victoria was when my employer asked me to go to Manchester one bitter winter morning during '67 or '68.

It started to snow : those huge, wet flakes that cover the ground within minutes!

It was inches deep before too long, and the higher we climbed the worse it got...until the train could go no further.

Can't remember exactly where it got to, but unless it's my memory playing tricks, all passengers had to get off and struggle across the open tracks to another train heading back to Sheffield.

Along with everyone else, I was perished by the time the train struggled back in hours later, and I decided to go home instead of going to work - and got a verbal rocket the next day, even when the story featured in the Star!

In June 1962 it was three halfpence each. Here's the ticket
It's nice that you still have the ticket - it must be a collector's item! I seem to remember that in the 1950s the fare was a penny for an adult and a halfpenny for a child under 14. I wonder if the lift or shaft is still there and closed off. When my dad was working at Nottingham for three months, he took a tram each morning to the wicker and then climbed the steps to get to the station for his train to Nottingham Victoria.

Here is a link http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2168-sheffield-victoria-station/ to a thread on the sheffield history site with with some fine old photos, timetables etc. One of the posts (Page 3) shows a lift ticket that is evidently older than the one shown by Voldy, intriguingly inscribed "PASSENGER LIFT NO 2". Perhaps Lift No 1 was in the station itself.

As a young lad i spent many a happy hour on Victoria Station, my father was a fitters mate who along with the fitter, and electrician did all the maintainence around the Sheffield,and Rotherham,area, they were based at Wharf Street off Broad St. We lived in a railway cottage at No. 8 Cricket inn Road,( opposite Durham Ox) up until 1960. Times i,ve been on the lift were countless, and free.

Edited by ALAN 58

Here is a link http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2168-sheffield-victoria-station/ to a thread on the sheffield history site with with some fine old photos, timetables etc. One of the posts (Page 3) shows a lift ticket that is evidently older than the one shown by Voldy, intriguingly inscribed "PASSENGER LIFT NO 2". Perhaps Lift No 1 was in the station itself.

Thanks Mr.H. The picure that looks like a row of houses, where were they?

I realy don't know. Some of the platforms had stone-built offices etc. that resembled houses as can be seen in the other photos, but in this case there doesn't seem to be an adjacent track. Perhaps it had been filled in, or maybe it was some nearby railway-owned property.

I believe that hillsbro has the right answer.If the picture to which stpetre refers is the 1st (top left of a block of 11) on the link site, then they are surely the stone down platform buildings with the track filled in. I can't remember the platform numbering but thought this was No 1.