Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

... I do have the 'Replica' 00 gauge (Hong Kong made) model of the B1 'Springbok'...

Ah - 61000 Springbok. It was rarely seen at Sheffield Victoria, but I copped it there in 1961; it had arrived on the Harwich-Liverpool boat train (the train was only about 8 or 9 coaches long in the winter period, and so sometimes a B1 was used when Stratford shed didn't have a spare Britannia). I always wanted to see Springbok's stablemate 61379 Mayflower, but I never did. So I 'cabbaged' it - see here. :P

• 6 months later...

Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station?

1. (A) Unless I’ve got my memory mucked up, which I doubt Lol. I remember The Master Cutler. Coming from London, it arrived on platform 1 just after 19.00 at Midland Station. I used to travel on the Master Cutler between 6-10 times during a football season. I didn’t pay for any of those two journeys. The story goes like this:-

Between the years 1968-1975 I was a very serious collector of football autographs. When the London teams, plus Southampton and Portsmouth played away on a Saturday in Sheffield, they travelled on the Master Cutler. Late afternoon/ early evening on Fridays, I’d travel down to Derby, sometimes Chesterfield, then travel back on the Master Cutler with the teams to Sheffield. The ticket inspectors in them days (British Rail) tended to only check tickets once during a journey (I stand to be corrected though). I have the strong impression that on the Sheffield-London run, inspectors checked tickets after Leicester. On the London-Sheffield run, the tickets were checked afore Leicester. Trains, railway stations, hotels and training grounds were the places I got most of my autographs. I wasn’t interested in pushing and shoving outside football stadia on match day to get a squiggled signature.

(B) Until he died about a year ago, a regular afternoon drinker called Roger in The Barrel on London Road, told me he used to work on the restaurant car of the Master Cutler. If need be I’ll try to find out his surname.

2. Ref. posts about German spy and escaped German P.O.W.

In the early 60’s my dad told me:

(A) A German spy was nabbed during the war in Sheffield on the tram route atween Hillsborough and Snig Hill. On receiving his ticket the spy courteously clicked his heels. This lead to him being apprehended. Whether it really happened or not I couldn’t say. I t could be quite possible the story was one of those…… Bloke catches a stickleback whilst fishing. The story gets repeated a few times and before you know where you are, the bloke actually caught a fish as long as the Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, Tirpitz and Bismark all rolled into one.. That would be reely amazing.

3. Good gosh Hillsboro, 2 quid 10 forra holiday runabout ticket in 1964. Your parents must have had a good few bob. In 1964 I was getting 2 shillings pocket dosh per week. Seems God gave me the wrong parents. Lol.

With all the time you spent trainspotting, I wonder how you found time for Roly-poly in Hillsbro Park. Lol. All the best to you Sir.

I remember the Victoria, used to go to Bridlington from there for our holidays as a kid. But did you know that it had a 'basement' as well? In the late 40s and 50s I was a postman driver and we took mail to the station. Instead of going up the Station Approach, we went down Furnival Road, under the bridge. Immediately under the bridge there was a street to the right with a 'hole in the wall'. We used to unload there and the mail was transferred to the platform via a lift. Long time ago!

... Good gosh Hillsboro, 2 quid 10 forra holiday runabout ticket in 1964. Your parents must have had a good few bob. In 1964 I was getting 2 shillings pocket dosh per week. Seems God gave me the wrong parents. Lol. With all the time you spent trainspotting, I wonder how you found time for Roly-poly in Hillsbro Park. Lol. All the best to you Sir.
...and all the best to you, zakes - I always enjoy your interesting posts! Believe me it wasn't easy raising the money for the week's runabout. But me dad (bless 'im) had given me a quid about a week earlier for passing six 'O' levels, and me grandma (bless 'er) had given me another quid. As far as I remember I saved the other 10 bob from my half a crown a week spending money, plus what I made at school selling stamps. I travelled the length and breadth of Lincolnshire (sometimes on long-closed lines such as Grimsby to Boston via Louth) trainspotting all the way! :)

In the summer of 1948 my mother and I travelled back to Sheffield Victoria from Trusthorpe/Mablethorpe by train via Louth, Donington on Bain and Wragby to Bardney where we connected with a Skegness to Lincoln & Sheffield train. Can you tell me please hillsbro when the branchlines (Mablethorpe to Bardney) were officially closed as I have long suspected they may have succumbed before the Beeching cuts?

Hi Voldy - yes, the the line from Mablethorpe to Louth closed in December 1960, a few years before the Beeching cuts. The line from Louth to Bardney had closed a few months earlier, in February 1960. Here is a link to an article about the "Mablethorpe Loop Line". The part of the loop between Mablethorpe and Willoughby via Sutton-on-Sea survived until 1970.

Edited by hillsbro

Many thanks hillsbro for the prompt reply with the additional "Bonus Buy" link :thumbsup:. It was a very interesting experience travelling at a nice leisurely pace in 1948 (Olympic Year) much like the preserved railways are providing these days. Our outward journey had been by car so the return was very much a one-off bonus and why it stays in my memory.

Hi Voldy - I actually envy you for having travelled along these lines (in 1948 - the year I was born!) By the time I was trainspotting my way around Lincolnshire they were closed, though I've walked along some of the trackbeds.:P. I well remember my first journey from Sheffield Victoria. I went with my mum and my grandma to London on 24 June 1957 on the "Master Cutler" pulled by 60102 Sir Frederick Banbury, one of the regular A3s on this service. Happy days!

Edited by hillsbro

• 8 months later...