Steampunk computers .. the way to go?

Steampunk is a word which describes things that're made to look like the come from the Victorian days of steam power. Considering you're reading this on a computer (Ok ... maybe a phone), I wonder what you make of these:

This is a computer tower.

Here's a keyboard ... and another.

A computer console (The 'book' is a flatbed scanner and the round thing above the typewriter keyboard's a CD tray)

And a mouse.

I really love these ... the way high tech's been made to look so aged! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find where you can buy this sort of stuff (apart from the US) ... so I'm gonna have a go at making it myself, starting with a keyboard. All I need's an old typewriter to get the keys off it and I'm off! There should be loads to choose from in antique shops.

Do you think there's a market for this kind of stuff, or is it just me?

Steampunk is a word which describes things that're made to look like the come from the Victorian days of steam power. Considering you're reading this on a computer (Ok ... maybe a phone), I wonder what you make of these:

This is a computer tower.

Here's a keyboard ... and another.

A computer console (The 'book' is a flatbed scanner and the round thing above the typewriter keyboard's a CD tray)

And a mouse.

I really love these ... the way high tech's been made to look so aged! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find where you can buy this sort of stuff (apart from the US) ... so I'm gonna have a go at making it myself, starting with a keyboard. All I need's an old typewriter to get the keys off it and I'm off! There should be loads to choose from in antique shops.

Do you think there's a market for this kind of stuff, or is it just me?

The first computers I worked on looked like that in real lfe... :)

...Do you think there's a market for this kind of stuff, or is it just me?

There's definitely a market for it, and it certainly isn't just you. The stuff is beautiful and the craftsmanship amazing.

If you're interested in the area beyond its application to the computer world, you might like this fantastic blog (though she does venture into computer-related stuff, as well as more general geekiness).

Archived