The mentality to abuse children.

I will never understand how people can have the mentality to harm children at all.

I just read on BBC News about a man who killed his 5 year old son with torrents of abuse, I would add the link but my phone won't let me but I shall in the morning, I can't wrap my head around why someone would do that and the purpose.

I understand that a large amount of the time it is about control and the parent\abusers need to be in control of someone, but surely there are better ways to issue that control.

Without going into detail, I have suffered at the hands of abusers and I wonder if this is the reason I dont understand but feel a need to understand of the reasons why people use this abuse.

I wondered if anyone had their own theories on this matter, why would a man essentially beat his own 5 year old son to death? What would drive a person to that? Would anything drive you personally to even slightly consider doing anything like that?

Even before I was a parent I couldn't understand it. I don't know the facts of this case but.....I know kids can push you to the absolute limit sometimes, believe me, but any normal parent would take themselves away from the situation for 5 minutes until its calmed down. Your love for you child should FAR outweigh any burst of anger that makes some people want to beat them to death.

Even before I was a parent I couldn't understand it. I don't know the facts of this case but.....I know kids can push you to the absolute limit sometimes, believe me, but any normal parent would take themselves away from the situation for 5 minutes until its calmed down. Your love for you child should FAR outweigh any burst of anger that makes some people want to beat them to death.

That is how I believe all people should be towards children, with all their love and life.

on a lighter note, I love your signature for your love for your own child and the quirk about being mad :P

Is self harm easier to understand?

I suppose if you've never experienced it yourself or delved into the reasons one might either self harm or hurt others then neither is easy to understand. I would guess that hurting a child is generally unacceptable because its a case of injuring others, and children are ususally seen as an innocent party, whereas the self harmer is restricting the injury to themselves (neither, of course, is no less traumatic for the victim).

I suppose if you've never experienced it yourself or delved into the reasons one might either self harm or hurt others then neither is easy to understand. I would guess that hurting a child is generally unacceptable because its a case of injuring others, and children are ususally seen as an innocent party, whereas the self harmer is restricting the injury to themselves (neither, of course, is no less traumatic for the victim).
Is either person actually in control of the given situation, or are both acts a scream of something well beyond frustration?

The cases I REALLY can't get my head round are those where a parent who only has the kids part time anyway, kills them - presumably in an act of revenge upon the other partner. Now that is the ultimate act of selfishness

I would think it depends on the circumstances; there are, I believe, truly evil people who simply want to inflict pain, then there are others who use it as a cry for help. As I said, I know how kids can push you to breaking point, and the right thing to do is remove yourself from the situation. Some people though, in the heat of the moment may lose it. I've never felt that bad before but its obvious some do, theres only so much one person can take and the onus is on them to seek help before it happens.

Archived