Should a Prime Minister know the state of the economy?

One of the strangest things I heard from the Prime Minister yesterday was this comment:

“Now I know you are asking whether the plan is working. And here’s the truth, the damage was worse than we thought”

I heard this before from Nick Clegg when he got into power and had to justify some of his policy changes, and without being political could anyone explain to me why the PM didn’t know the true state of the economy.

I thought all Public Accounts were available on the Internet and there are people on here (some who I disagree with) who seem totally clued up on the economy.

So what was it that he didn’t know and how could this happen?

Or is he just lying?

“Now I know you are asking whether the plan is working. And here’s the truth, the damage was worse than we thought”

and without being political could anyone explain to me why the PM didn’t know the true state of the economy.

I suppose its a bit like taking over any business. Those previously in charge really screwed things up but managed to conceal some things better than others.

I bet if you took over the head of Greece PLC just before the wheels came off you'd be wondering what else was going to jump out the cupboard to upset you...

They didn;t know what the state was because Labour hid it. We all knew it was bad and there wasn't much left, what we didn't realise was how bad, and that there was no money left.

Labour took 13 years to drive the economy into the ground. It'll probably take that long to drive it out again, and if we want to avoid repeating the mess that Labour left it'll take even longer.

The ConDem record so far is a list of fails, u-turns and blaming others, to any normal person this would highlight their flawed policies and crazy ideologies.

I'm sure Mr. Cameron would be in full possession of the facts and figures, lying and cheating is what these people do best and Mr Cameron's speech was a prime example of this.

I bet if you took over the head of Greece PLC just before the wheels came off you'd be wondering what else was going to jump out the cupboard to upset you...

They didn;t know what the state was because Labour hid it. We all knew it was bad and there wasn't much left, what we didn't realise was how bad, and that there was no money left.

Labour took 13 years to drive the economy into the ground. It'll probably take that long to drive it out again, and if we want to avoid repeating the mess that Labour left it'll take even longer.

No money left, really?

Where did they find the £1.1billion for Trident reactor cores? Or the extra firework money for the olympics or the £50million to commemorate the centenary of WW1 or the £170million planned for road repairs or the money spent over Libya etc etc

I suppose its a bit like taking over any business. Those previously in charge really screwed things up but managed to conceal some things better than others.

I'm not being funny but how can you conceal things?

Surely the figures are in the Public domain, as well as having the same Civil Servants as the previous government.

Leaving Party Politics aside, aren't you a little concerned that some people are hiding informaiton from the Prime Minister cos I know I am.

No money left, really?

Apparantly so

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/17/liam-byrne-note-successor

Where did they find the £1.1billion for Trident reactor cores? Or the extra firework money for the olympics or the £50million to commemorate the centenary of WW1 or the £170million planned for road repairs or the money spent over Libya etc etc

So thre was money and Labour didn't even realise it? And you'd let them loose with the economy again? :hihi::hihi:

But surely this information is in the Public Accounts, surely each department was given a figure to spend and this was balanced out against the revenue receipts.

If it isn't then it is very scary as it would seem those looking after the countrys finances have no idea what's going on.

Archived