Speeding fine Renishaw

Hmmm, I suspect that not many people really understand what it means. Which is necessary first to be able to 'rate' it at all.

The concept is clear, surely the issue is the extent to which it has actually occurred.

The link that truman posted is very interesting. Unfortunately I've only had opportunity to give it a cursory read, so far. The evidence of cameras having caused some specific people to panic and crash is a strong one. Oher impacts, both for and against, are harder to quantify. As are the combined effects of speed limit changes AND new cameras.

Today my partner received a notice of intended prosecution from Derbyshire Constabulary for doing 39 in a 30MPH :(. We were driving through Renishaw towards M1 on Saturday 6th Oct. It appears to have been a mobile camera that got us, as we seemed to be following at a similar pace to the traffic in front just interested to see if anyone else has received the same letter today? By the way I'm not trying to excuse or justify speeding in any way!!

Renishaw has always been known for getting caught for speeding even before the camera vans because the police used to hide on purpose because they had nothing better to do in that area, what a doddle of a job. :gag::suspect:

It's a mathematical effect, the rate at which it occurs isn't when you look at a large enough data set (ie across the entire country) doesn't vary.

The use of cameras in an appropriate place is I expect a valid safety measure, as it forces people to consider their speed.

Using them cynically however within 1 mile of a dangerous spot, but on the safest, fastest stretch of road, will have no safety effect.

Equally if the area has accidents primarily due to people who are either not speeding, or are in stolen/untraceable vehicles or who's behaviour will otherwise not be affected by a camera will have no effect.

120,000 miles a year?

328 miles a day, every day. Pretty impressive.

Not really,thats just one a trip from goole to wolverhampton and back.A very easy day for some.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 11:49 ----------

Every single day, no weekends off or anything.

Assuming motorway speeds that's a minimum of 5 hours, every day, 7 days a week.

Maybe someone is fibbing.

Or you have no idea what your talking about!

A truck driver is entitled to drive twice a week for 10 hours which at 50 mph tops out at 500 miles doesnt it? The other days hes entitled to drive 9 hours which im sure you can work out that even that is far more than 300 miles.A 300 mile day is an easy one!

I couldnt count the days when ive done 700-900 miles in one day.

Of course if you think it cant be done stop judging others by your own abilities or stick your money where your mouth is.

How many miles do you think andora in spain and back is? 3 days is what it takes taking it easy.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 11:54 ----------

His fuel bill must be horrendous :hihi:

Or your just plain thick!

Not really,thats just one a trip from goole to wolverhampton and back.A very easy day for some.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 11:49 ----------

Or you have no idea what your talking about!

A truck driver is entitled to drive twice a week for 10 hours which at 50 mph tops out at 500 miles doesnt it? The other days hes entitled to drive 9 hours which im sure you can work out that even that is far more than 300 miles.A 300 mile day is an easy one!

I couldnt count the days when ive done 700-900 miles in one day.

Of course if you think it cant be done stop judging others by your own abilities or stick your money where your mouth is.

How many miles do you think andora in spain and back is? 3 days is what it takes taking it easy.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 11:54 ----------

Or your just plain thick!

So all these miles are actually done in an HGV are they? So you probably don't really know very much about driving a car, or speeding.

Supposedly you're arguing the same 'side' of this debate as me, I really wish you weren't though, as you're aggressive and come across incredibly badly.

Renishaw has always been known for getting caught for speeding even before the camera vans because the police used to hide on purpose because they had nothing better to do in that area, what a doddle of a job.

ok, I`ll ask - where did they hid in Renishaw?

Hmmm, I suspect that not many people really understand what it means. Which is necessary first to be able to 'rate' it at all.

Sorry I was looking for the "speaks in Dudley Moore voice" emoticon when I wrote that but, then again, you have to be of a certain age to understand that.

RTM is understood here perfectly just as statistical significance is.

But the answer is always going to be "we don't know what would have happened if we hadn't intervened" and no statistician/economist or anyone else working with guesses/estimates/finger licked into the wind figures can say anything different.

So, I don't say they have worked or haven't, will continue to work in the future or won't. On balance, I reckon they curb our natural tendency to push the envelope on speed. Whether we need to be curbed, whether we can "drive to the conditions" and effectively make our own minds up and make good speed choices without a speed framework and occasional enforcement is open to debate.

I know that since, in the last 3 weeks, I have found 6 illegal tyres on company cars where the cost of a new tyre is not an issue. Everywhere I go, I find broad ignorance as to what the function of a tyre's tread is and at what point its performance falls off a cliff like a stone purely because they have never been told AND have never asked/read to find out. If it's not ignorance on tread it's ignorance on tyre pressures which then affects performance on the road (in road-holding and fuel-efficiency) and performance of the tread all of which will cost the driver money. Drivers do not check tyre pressures regularly enough, a kick and visual check on its own means that a drop of one-third in tyre pressure is overlooked.

And all this in winter. "Is your car ready for Winter?" Well, no, in many cases it isn't ready for Summer, either.

Why do i allow myself to go off-topic?

Well, the debate always splits down in two: there are those that are painted as holier-than-thou, know nothing, incompetent drivers and there are those that profess to know everything and can sort out their own speed because they can.

The truth is that many/most cut corners and wouldn't know one end of a tyre pressure gauge or tread depth gauge from the other. The four corners of the car could be under-performing to a lesser or greater extent, the (potentially catastrophic) puncture could be around the next or last corner. In ignorance, they cannot make make informed speed choices cameras or not.

I do wish we could get away from the stalest of debates on camera/scamera and move on to bigger and better more beneficial things, however basic.

How many will respond to this with a "tell me more" response?

How many will go and read up and improve their performance and lower their costs? How many treat driving as a life-skill and every day as a school day?

How many treat driving as a right rather than as a responsibility?

So all these miles are actually done in an HGV are they? So you probably don't really know very much about driving a car, or speeding.

Supposedly you're arguing the same 'side' of this debate as me, I really wish you weren't though, as you're aggressive and come across incredibly badly.

Ha ha you really are looking stupid!

Archived