Speeding fine Renishaw

OR, from another point of view...

If drivers expect to see a camera in time to slow down before getting caught, then they might choose to continue to drive at above the speed limit, with the expectation of being able to slow only if they see a camera. This clearly would do nothing to aid compliance with the speed limit.. However, if drivers believe that cameras may be hidden, then they might choose to drive within the speed limit, so as not to risk a fine. And those who do not modify their behaviour will soon find that they have received several “3 point” awards, which should concentrate their minds, or result in a period off the road.

Also, some drivers, on seeing a camera, may panic and brake excessively when it is not safe to do so. If they only see the camera as they are passing it, they are more likely to think that they have already been caught, if they are speeding, and realise that there is no need for excessive panic braking.

On the basis of the above, hidden cameras would be a safer and better at improving driver behaviour than would those out in the open. Surely this is a good thing? Also, by resulting in fewer people speeding, then “income” would go down, not up. A small price to pay for safer roads.

I think you are correct about the "panic" factor. There used to be a fixed camera at the bottom of renishaw hill, when all the hill was national speed limit and renishaw was 30mph limit. I think there were a couple of instances of lorry drivers seeing the camera, breaking hard and jack knifing. If it was for money making reasons I'm sure they'd have left it there - must have moved it for safety reasons.

I think you are correct about the "panic" factor. There used to be a fixed camera at the bottom of renishaw hill, when all the hill was national speed limit and renishaw was 30mph limit. I think there were a couple of instances of lorry drivers seeing the camera, breaking hard and jack knifing. If it was for money making reasons I'm sure they'd have left it there - must have moved it for safety reasons.

Some one blew it up!

Many have been left to rot or up rooted due to lack of interest due to funding changes which just goes to show they are about cash not safety.

Dont expect the camera vans to go anywhere though as they are filling the class rooms very nicely at £90 a pop for the AA (AAROADWATCH).

I would love to be a fly on the wall in their boardrooms to listen in on how they are intending on upping their profits.Thats what companies do isnt it?

Maybe they will have a word with their mates to see if they can get some speed limits reduced to rediculous levels,that should help,just had a thought thats already being done :|

Many have been left to rot or up rooted due to lack of interest due to funding changes which just goes to show they are about cash not safety.

Its a waste to see them just left standing at the roadside when they could be weighed in for scrap, which is the best place for them in my opinion.

Dont expect the camera vans to go anywhere though as they are filling the class rooms very nicely at £90 a pop for the AA (AAROADWATCH).

I would love to be a fly on the wall in their boardrooms to listen in on how they are intending on upping their profits.Thats what companies do isnt it?

Maybe they will have a word with their mates to see if they can get some speed limits reduced to rediculous levels,that should help,just had a thought thats already being done :|

This particular one i was thinking of was moved (or blown up !!) a good ten years back - maybe more.

So despite them being effective, changes to the financial model means they can no longer afford to use them all.

So despite them being effective, changes to the financial model means they can no longer afford to use them all.

There is little evidence to show that the majority of them improved road safety, so by what measure were they effective?

This particular one i was thinking of was moved (or blown up !!) a good ten years back - maybe more.

it was originally moved, then blown up later - your both correct.

there again, someone took the bus shelter to make a gazebo once so nothing in that village suprises me.

Archived