Slavery. Does it still exist?

The topic of trafficing was on radio 4 this morning, apparently the UKBA and the police are getting better at detecting it, but they're still not very good.

That's because they're understaffed and underfunded

The topic of trafficing was on radio 4 this morning, apparently the UKBA and the police are getting better at detecting it, but they're still not very good.

I watched it on BBC, they have put more effort into detection over the past couple of years but claim what they have detected it is likely the tip of the big iceberg.

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2012/03/world/mauritania.slaverys.last.stronghold/index.html

A quick quote. (Local Islamic leaders, called imams, historically have spoken in favor of slavery. Activists say the practice continues in some mosques)

Guess who runs this hell hole.

In the interests of balance you applied a bit of editing to that quote didn't you?

Local Islamic leaders, called imams, historically have spoken in favor of slavery. Activists say the practice continues in some mosques, particularly in rural areas. Various religions in many countries have been used to justify the continuation of slavery. "They make people believe that going to paradise depends on their submission," one Mauritanian activist, Boubacar Messaoud, said of how religious leaders handle slavery.

In the interests of balance you applied a bit of editing to that quote didn't you?

Local Islamic leaders, called imams, historically have spoken in favor of slavery. Activists say the practice continues in some mosques, particularly in rural areas. Various religions in many countries have been used to justify the continuation of slavery. "They make people believe that going to paradise depends on their submission," one Mauritanian activist, Boubacar Messaoud, said of how religious leaders handle slavery.

Yep, Christians justified Slavery many many years ago, then ended it.

However we are talking about now

No other comment on the report, you must have read the horrific facts?

No other comment on the report, you must have read the horrific facts?

Apologies - quite right - been away from the laptop. Absolutely abhorrent behaviour and attitudes. Simply no place for cases like these in the modern world.

I've not had time to fully digest it and review it all yet but I certainly will.

It's a good find and a harrowing but important read so thanks for posting but I would urge anyone to remember that awful acts are committed every day in the names of many religions. Nothing can justify the atrocities cited in this report no matter how you choose to worship.

Apologies - quite right - been away from the laptop. Absolutely abhorrent behaviour and attitudes. Simply no place for cases like these in the modern world.

I've not had time to fully digest it and review it all yet but I certainly will.

It's a good find and a harrowing but important read so thanks for posting but I would urge anyone to remember that awful acts are committed every day in the names of many religions. Nothing can justify the atrocities cited in this report no matter how you choose to worship.

Could not have put that better, ace post.

Archived