What if i stop claiming benefits before i start my lawsuit?

You won't win millions.

You win what you've lost - that's all.

It's quite straight forward. If you were working, and as a result of the accident couldn't work, then you can claim back those lost earnings. If you have claimed extra benefits as a result of your injuries, those benefits will be reclaimed by the DWP. If your benefits increased by say £100 a week for 10 weeks as a direct result of the accident, then your damages for lost earnings will be reduced by £1,000.

If you've lost millions in lost earnings, you aren't eligible for JSA, unless somehow by working under 16hours a week you earn several hundred thousand pounds a week.

So could I put millions in pain and suffering?

No. There are guidelines and cases that need to be followed. Tetraplegia results in a pain and suffering award of around £500,000. Dental injuries aren't worth a vast amount in honesty.

With regard to your original question, it makes no difference to your total receipts whether you stay on benefits or not.

It can - but it can get messy. The DWP aren't the best in working out what's accident related and what isn't, and we do end up appealing a fair few decisions they make.

Unless you are now starting to be deliberately obtuse.

Lets get something in your head.

You will not win millions. You will be very lucky if it goes anything above 10k - 15k.

Causation on medical negligence is EXTREMELY difficult to prove.

Bit of background for you...

Cases can trundle on for anything up to 2 years before any contact is made with the Defendant. Medical records need to be obtained, authorities must be collated and signed, medical agencies/experts need to be instructed. On top of that Counsel maybe needed to advise on the prospects/draft allegations.

Then, presuming your solicitors are acting for you on a no win-no fee, there is the issue of legal expenses insurance which the Practice have to apply for to cover the costs risks. IF you are lucky enough to get this appoved (which is very difficult in clinical negligence matters) your solicitors will finally start the steps to formally contact the Defendant via formal letter of claim detailing the negligence they allege, breaches of duty and clear proof of your injuries and ongoing issues which are not in any way shape or form part of the usual process of whatever treatment you were undergoing.

If then you are lucky enough to receive a response from the Defendant admitting liability / breach of duty your solicitors will still have to prove that their negligence actually caused you a significant enough injury to actually have some value and more importantly you have suffered loss.

If that actually gets established THEN your solicitors will start valuations/negotiations as to a suitable award of compensation.

Millions it aint going to be. A few thousand it maybe.

However, you really need to bear in mind the timescale involved and the little number of sucessful claims.

There will be no cheque popping out to you in the post anytime soon. NEVER treat injury compensation as a windfall. NEVER set any financial plans on the basis of a compensation award. NEVER attempt to rely on a compensation award as a means of income.

Believe me I see it every day and for those who do.. it all ends in tears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankypanky1

Say I win millions in loss of earnings, how much will JSA deduct from it?

Thanks

Just be content your screwing us/we the tax payer over!!!!!!!!

Not really. Most dentists are private and insured so tax isn't a factor.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived