Amanda Todd's suicide, bullying & cyberbullying. Is your kid a bully?

As far as I'm aware, it was well known, she even moved schools several times. It leads me to think (about Amanda's case and past cases from experience) in some cases what can a parent do? How can you stop bullying, especially online?

I don't think they would.

True its tough especially as you say online ..

I think a major problem is that many people worry about their kid(s) being on the receiving end of bullying, but most wouldn't think that their kid(s) would actually BE a bully. I've seen for myself when kids displaying bully behaviour are defended by their parents (in denial).

I think it's worth noting (in my opinion, from experience) that passiveness and inaction with regards to bad behaviour could act as a gateway (I hate to use the term) to bullying. I know several parents who "don't believe in disciplining" their children.

These children have become little tearaways as time has gone on.

I think a major problem is that many people worry about their kid(s) being on the receiving end of bullying, but most wouldn't think that their kid(s) would actually BE a bully. I've seen for myself when kids displaying bully behaviour are defended by their parents (in denial).

I think it's worth noting (in my opinion, from experience) that passiveness and inaction with regards to bad behaviour could act as a gateway (I hate to use the term) to bullying. I know several parents who "don't believe in disciplining" their children.

These children have become little tearaways as time has gone on.

Also well said ^^ so true i also believe ..

I doubt it, they would class it as bullying.

You should be ashamed to make such vile comments and trying to score points on the back of this poor girl's death.

Not scoring points, just going on at how people on here tried to defend that scumbag who posted the April Jones "jokes" on Facebook as "free speech".

Not scoring points, just going on at how people on here tried to defend that scumbag who posted the April Jones "jokes" on Facebook as "free speech".

I agree ^^

That guy deserved the jail for saying such vile things

jokes are jokes all in good fun but they are not fun when it comes

to such vile as these types are, in which is sick ..

Incidentally, I work with cyberbullied kids. I have to deal with at least one Facebook incident a week. Thankfully most are just based on simple falling out, but there was one which wasn't, and it wasn't very nice. Thankfully the American police were simply amazing and fast acting.

So so sad, she had all of her life ahead of her and didn't think it would ever be worth living because of 2 silly mistakes and the people that would never let her forget them.

I just can't get my head around some of the comments on there and I made myself read them all, so cold I don't want to think of the people (who are probably her own age) as actually being evil but I am struggling not too, how could anyone regardless of age have become so totally lacking in Human feeling and empathy.

RIP Amanda they can never hurt you now, I am so so sorry that you felt that what you did was the only way out :(

This is the result of how importantly vacuous Twitter, facebook and Youtube on the whole have become. Children find it very hard to contemplate internally unless it's from the perspective of how they are seen by others. Loving your child isn't enough, you have to put time in and look for the signs rather than idly stand by and hope they cope.

Kids are no less vulnerable to internet bullying/stalking than they are to sexual assault, probably more so. as there are no significant controls in place.

Archived