Can you still get a bargain on ebay?

I have been going on ebay for a long time now,

in the past you were able to get brilliant bargains but now the bidding is dubious to say the least here is an example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HTC-Desire-HD-1-5-GB-Black-locked-onto-3network-Smartphone-/150922775297?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2323b2cb01

check out the bid history on items and you will always see the same pattern.

I ask myself these questions;

who in their right mind bids on items days before it closes?

who in their right mind as in the above example would bid up an item if they want to buy it eventually?

How come people with no bid history(0)suddenly appear bid up items massively then dissapear.

How come ebay allowed the "private bidders" listing

where the identity is hidden so the item can easily be bid up would'nt have nothing to do with more fees for them would it?

Then there is the extortionate postage fees

the shop seller items that go from 99p with an hour or so to go then sky high by closing

how do people really feel about ebay now?do you think its all gone corrupt because of greed?

wheres the honesty gone or am i too cynical

Too many large commercial companies have taken it over, which have killed off real bargins and customer service.

Ebay's/paypal's huge fees also put off genuine private sellers. Large companies also have computer systems set up to automatically undercut new small sellers (they make their profit by bulk shipping for virtually nothing).

It's a shame as 10 years ago it was just the biggest carboot sale ever. Now it's not worth the hassle either as a buyer or a seller.

It all went downhill when the sniping software became available, and the "bidding" became a fix.

Now I only use it for "buy it now" things - can't be bothered bidding on an auction, waiting and then finding out someone with clever software has put in a bid with three seconds to go.

Archived