Can you still get a bargain on ebay?

You can still get some bargains, but there are still some sellers who need to be banned. I'm sure I got shill bidded up on one item, ended up losing it, then got a 'second chance' straight away. Other sellers refuse to sell if the auction price "didn't get high enough", it's a no-reserve auction! It's still full of counterfeits too & ebay don't seem to do anything - you can get a refund, but you have to wait & the seller is free to rip other people off.

I bid early on 99p & lower stuff, just to make sure I'm the first bid, people search for items with 0 bids. Sometimes I'll bid it up early just so it gets filtered out of other buyer's searches too & gets less interest, things that stay cheap for a few days can get more interest & end up with higher ending prices. Lots of people will look at cheap items, but not put a bid in until late, so it stays at 99p 0 bids until an hour before the end, then everything goes crazy, sometimes it's better to bid things up early.

It all went downhill when the sniping software became available, and the "bidding" became a fix.

Now I only use it for "buy it now" things - can't be bothered bidding on an auction, waiting and then finding out someone with clever software has put in a bid with three seconds to go.

Why do you need software to make a "sniping" bid?.I have always sniped without software for years.

For those times you know you won't be at your computer!

But surely if you intend to raise your bid why not just enter the max bid when you start.

I've been outbid numerous times but i've never lost an auction where i was going to raise my bid any higher.

But surely if you intend to raise your bid why not just enter the max bid when you start.

I've been outbid numerous times but i've never lost an auction where i was going to raise my bid any higher.

My Mum swears by this snipe bidding stuff, I don't really bother much, but if you enter a bid early, I guess it gives others more of a chance to outbid you if they really want it. If they've only put £1 in, but would be willing to spend a lot more, then you come along, and bid, say £5, they can just go higher. If you let them sit there comfortably on their £1 bid right until the end, you might grab it for £1.04

My Mum's tactic is to wait until there are only 12 seconds left before she bids. Gives her a chance to get a bid in, but a very slim chance of anyone else whos already bid and is watching to get another one in afterwards :hihi: - Like everyone used to do when eBay first started! Of course it gives her very little chance of getting a second bid in if shes outbid though, but thats a risk you have to take.

Yes, it is possible to still find a bargain on eBay. If you know what an item is worth to you and don't get in the mindset that you "lost" if something was worth £10 to you but £20 to someone else.

I snipe but only because I can enter a snipe in software, then retract it if necessary without having to go through the bid retraction rigmarole, if I am sniping on 3 similar items, win the first, I can remove my snipes without bidding and cancelling on the other 2

Archived