Indoor Lamp to come on when its dark

We are halfway through having a porch built and instead of a ceiling light, thought we would have a lamp instead. Can anyone tell me if you can buy a lamp (if ones been invented yet) that will automatically turn on as it goes dark. Ive searched the internet but cannot find what im looking for.

Try Sismans electrical, in the Wicker, Jane, they sell all sorts of gubbins like that.

What you almost certainly will be able to get, is a socket, with a light sensor, that will fit into the bayonet fitting in your light. It will sit between the socket and the bulb, and will sense that it's dark, and switch your light on.

Can anyone tell me if you can buy a lamp (if ones been invented yet) that will automatically turn on as it goes dark.

You can. The phrase to search for is "dusk-to-dawn". There's plenty of different types. It uses a light sensor and lights up when the light is below a certain level.

If you use a timer instead then you have to adjust it every couple of months as the nights get shorter and longer.

Try Sismans electrical, in the Wicker, Jane, they sell all sorts of gubbins like that.

What you almost certainly will be able to get, is a socket, with a light sensor, that will fit into the bayonet fitting in your light. It will sit between the socket and the bulb, and will sense that it's dark, and switch your light on.

It won't work if Jane wants to fit the lamp with a shade - the shade would cover the sensor.

We are halfway through having a porch built and instead of a ceiling light, thought we would have a lamp instead. Can anyone tell me if you can buy a lamp (if ones been invented yet) that will automatically turn on as it goes dark. Ive searched the internet but cannot find what im looking for.

I bought one that fits in a standard light socket and the bulb fits into it. It comes on when it gets dark. About £8 from any DIY store.

Archived