Read all about it - Drug law reform recommended by another expert panel

I don't know but by their present lifestyle they have accepted they are involved in criminal activity.

Maybe they are drawn towards the potential big financial income for very little effort rather than waking up one day and deciding to be a criminal?

Maybe they are drawn towards the potential big financial income for very little effort rather than waking up one day and deciding to be a criminal?
You suggest there's a difference?

Behind most criminality is greed and the lure of easy illegal profit rather than legitimate work.

burglars think it’s ok to steal, and child sex offenders think the age of consent should be in single figures

Two complete presumptions there. A burglar can still steal and recognise that his act is immoral. A pedophile can be attracted to children and still recognise his own attraction as wrong.

our laws have evolved for good reasons, and among those reasons is preventing the weak-minded from doing things that the general populace consider wrong.

It's evolved very badly then. Prohibition is an absolute failure.

I suspect that our differing social circles largely ensure that you and I are unlikely to breathe the same air.

Clouds and silver linings. ;)

Behind most criminality is greed and the lure of easy illegal profit rather than legitimate work.

I would agree with that. Which is why I object to blindly carrying on with policies which cost a fortune and create a highly lucrative illegal trade for criminals at all levels to engage in.

Put it this way, the markups from farm gate to ultimate consumer of heroin can be between 100 times and 400 times. So an amount of the substance that costs £100 is making between £9900 and £39900 for criminals throughout the supply chain. Now given the chaotic nature of many heroin addicts lives they fund their use through aquisative crime so if we take a middle ground of £20K then we can multiply that by at least 5 to reflect the direct costs incurred by their victims to get the money so as a society we're looking at paying £100,000+ before we even start looking at the costs of enforcement against both the aquisative crime and the drugs offences themselves for something we could have got for £100.

Even ignoring the health and social cohesion costs of continuing blindly with prohibition as the only solution on financial grounds alone it's utter madness.

If wanting criminals to be punished and potential criminals to be deterred from such a path makes me a sad, pathetic, twisted waste of space in your book, then it's a strange book you read.

By public hanging???

And who said anything about supporting the illegal drug trade? Stop twisting the argument. I'm totally against the illegal drug trade, as is everyone, including users and addicts.

Well, that surely makes all the 'law abiding' bankers who miss sold billions or pounds worth of PPI to their customers nothing but criminals, doesn't it?

The obvious answer is to change the situation so that there is no illegal profit to be made. Legalise and control the drug trade. Rather than your brutal and inhumane suggestion.

Archived