Read all about it - Drug law reform recommended by another expert panel

Neither its your argument that is stupid .."if illegal drugs were legal they would be legal"

Makes perfect sense, especially in a thread about whether they should be legal. Saying something is bad by virtue of it's legality makes no sense.

..thats a statement I would expect from someone such as the muslamic ray guns fella..go on then I'll humour you..what good to the user would legalisation do ?

Regulation of prices and purity. Less overdoses and death. Less violence, less having to meet nasty people who have an interest in getting you hooked... the list goes on... and on...

How ? ..So now youre asking the government and indirectly the tax payers to fund or at least helpfund someones habit

An emotive, though not based on reality, argument. No more based in reality than suggesting the taxpayer funds people's jolly's down the pub at the weekend.

i.e taking a substance that there is no valid reason to be taken

So you know for a fact that there are no valid reasons for anyone to ever take an illegal drug?

..you dont want much do you ..Tell me what would be the benefit of taking this substance ?

Surely that would depend on why you're taking it? What's the benefit of having a pint or a cig?

Makes perfect sense, especially in a thread about whether they should be legal. Saying something is bad by virtue of it's legality makes no sense.

Regulation of prices and purity. Less overdoses and death. Less violence, less having to meet nasty people who have an interest in getting you hooked... the list goes on... and on...

Yet promoting addiction by virtue of legality ,I would have thought surely better to cure addiction than make it readily available as a way of life

Yet promoting addiction by virtue of legality

It's no different to many legal drugs already.

I would have thought surely better to cure addiction than make it readily available as a way of life

Drugs are already readily available to anyone who wants to take them. The point of the report and this thread is that having the trade in the hands of criminals isn't working, has never worked, and costs the UK £3-4bn a year for no gain whatsoever.

you want to legalise Heroin !!...incredible... what next AK47 's on the shelf at your local Tescos

Heroin is semi-legal, it's a restricted Class A drug that is available through prescription for treatment of a number of severe problems.

It is one of the strongest painkillers known to man.

It's the UKDPC this time - read it here: http://www.ukdpc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/a-fresh-approach-to-drugs-the-final-report-of-the-uk-drug-policy-commission.pdf

I don't understand this fetish for decriminalisation - it's half baked. Only legalisation and regulation will have the desired twin effects of a body blow to organised crime and harm reduction accross the user spectrum.

Thanks for the link. As the end result of 6 years of study its rather depressing that it focuses on tinkering about on the edges of reducing penalties for possession and fails to tackle the major cause of physical and financial harm from drugs use, specifically criminal supply.

That's the argument against prohibiting something because it causes harm, Unless you intend to advocate the banning of gambling and fatty foods, then this argument holds some weight. You don't just ban things because they are harmful, the unintended consequences are generally worse than the harm from the thing itself when it comes to drugs.

This report points out that small scale 'personal' growers are actually doing society a benefit, by reducing the market for organised crime gangs.

Each drug needs to be treated separately - you can't just legislate for "drugs" - it's meaningless.

Cannabis occupies a fairly singular position for lots of reasons, and the licensing of small scale grower/consumers seems to be a reasonable solution to both harm reduction and criminal income.

You can't do that against a background of decriminalisation of cannabis.

Decriminalisation is, as Kinetic points out, the politically palatable option, but it's a half baked measure, and a mixed message. It's illegal, but allowed, to possess small amounts. What constitutes a "small amount" is open, often to interpretation, and the offences of possession and possession with intent are still very much available to be used prejudicially.

OK, thankyou for clarifying that :)

Thanks for the link. As the end result of 6 years of study its rather depressing that it focuses on tinkering about on the edges of reducing penalties for possession and fails to tackle the major cause of physical and financial harm from drugs use, specifically criminal supply.

The report does have highlights, but it I'm inclined to agree with your verdict.

Archived