Read all about it - Drug law reform recommended by another expert panel

Anyway thats me finished ,I know I said it before but I thought I had better answer one of the fabled Dream Team...That a joke innit, its got to be

Judging by your signature, I'd say you were a music fan.

Do you really not understand that, were it not for illegal drugs, a lot of the best music would never have been made?

Oh and, although I'm not a fan, that includes The Who.

Well despite the fact that everything regarded as intoxicating is illegal in KSA they still seem to have a huge problem. How could that be with their very harsh penalties?

Wow. Twelve and a half tons of amphetamines seized in Saudi Arabia in 2008 - slightly more than half of total world seizures for that year.

I think Conrod is talking rubbish with his childishly naive calls for even harsher punishment.

That's what I always thought too, but it appears to be a misconception. David Nutt disagrees (and far be it for me to argue with the leading expert in neuropsychopharmacology!). He says 10% of all cannabis users are physically addicted to the drug. He mentions it briefly in "Drugs - Without the Hot Air" (well worth a read!), and references the following document:

"Dependence on cannabis alone is, unquestionably, a real phenomenon

[1, 2]. Studies among cannabis users have revealed that when they stop

they experience physical withdrawal as part of a dependence syndrome

Yes, that's certainly true. But cannabis withdrawal is a lot less problematic than widthrawal from other drugs that build physical dependencies because of two primary factors.

1. Cannabinoids have a long half life in the body. Stopping "cold turkey" to borrow a phrase from heroin withdrawal, is generally less traumatic because the amount of cannabinoids in your system doesn't suddenly zonk down to zero like it might do with a more readily metabolised amine substance (cannabis is almost unique amongst recreational drugs in being non-nitrogenous terpene, rather than a member of the more common alkaloid family (cocaine, heroin, amphetamine, bezodiazepine)).

2. The endogenous substances that are loosely mimicked by cannabinoids, the so-called endocannabinoids including anandamide, don't regulate pain (opioids) or excitation (stimulants). Withdrawal from opioids is characterised by quite serious pain and discomfort. Withdrawal from stimulants is characterised by lethargy and overwhelming mental fatigue.

Withdrawal from cannabis is characterised by irritability, unusually vivid and arresting dreams and insomnia.

These are small beer compared to even alcohol withdrawal.

Thus Blakemore & Nutt's rational scale of drug harm places cannabis dependency quite low on the axis.

No, I'd prefer public hanging. Let potential dealers see their role models twitch and die, that's the way.

You sad, pathetic, twisted wast of space! I can't believe people like you breath the same air as the rest of us!

How can you say something as bent as this and expect to get taken seriously, ever?!?

A good reason for legalisation (from a thread about a shooting in Sheffield)....

Allegedly drug related yet again, and those allegedly involved know the risks to their kids when they set off down this road. they choose this lifestyle and choose to put their kids in a dangerous position, let's not fanny around that fact.

Seen the same happen here in S2 where a drug dealer was robbed in his own home, Next day the star covered it appealing for witnesses with a pic of sad looking kids and parents as usual. They make their bed so have to lay in it, Let's not pity the adults here please, they are pure scum and know what will eventually come their way and accept it with no thought for their offspring who have no say in the matter.

Would this (alleged) drug-related shooting have taken place if the (alleged) drugs in question were legal?

No, I'd prefer public hanging. Let potential dealers see their role models twitch and die, that's the way.
You sad, pathetic, twisted wast of space! I can't believe people like you breath the same air as the rest of us!

How can you say something as bent as this and expect to get taken seriously, ever?!?

Well, I think I managed to make my post without making a personal attack on another poster, so I'm rather content to be sat on the moral high ground in that respect at the very least. If wanting criminals to be punished and potential criminals to be deterred from such a path makes me a sad, pathetic, twisted waste of space in your book, then it's a strange book you read.

People who live a healthy, fulfilled, law-abiding lifestyle (and don’t need to stoop to the pitiful degeneracy of illegal drug use) tend not to be supportive of the illegal drug trade. People who live their lives in that rut of degeneracy and need to use drugs to find any sort of fulfilment in their limited existences generally hold a different view. No surprise in that – burglars think it’s ok to steal, and child sex offenders think the age of consent should be in single figures, but our laws have evolved for good reasons, and among those reasons is preventing the weak-minded from doing things that the general populace consider wrong.

Worry not though; I suspect that our differing social circles largely ensure that you and I are unlikely to breathe the same air.

So the fact that I feel people are ruining their lives and bodies,which is backed by historical evidence is a bizarre attitude...How bizarre your thinking is.

You miss the point.

The point is that prohibition ruins peoples lives and bodies on top of all the problems that the drug addiction cause. If we allowed our doctors to prescribe Heroin to the patients to help treat their addiction then problems that prohibition causes would be removed.

It is one of the strongest painkillers known to man.

It's not, for example Daimorphine is given in a dose measured in milligrams. There is a stronger opioid called fentanyl, which is given routinely for post operative pain in a dose one thousand times smaller, micrograms.

During an anaesthetic even more potent painkillers are often used. Remifentanil is an extremely powerful and fast acting painkiller, however the analgesic effects start to wear off in a matter of minutes. Alfentanil, whose action of effect is so fast it stops working as soon as you stop giving it is often used as well. These painkillers are usually given constantly via an infusion during anaesthetics.

Archived