Jordanthorpe Hospital that never was.

iron sky

The one problem now if you wanted to build an hospital on the scale of other city hospitals would be where to put it in Jordanthorpe? Most of the land around there is built on now. Perhaps the idea if right was to build a hospital there but fell though and then Council flats were built on the land. It would have made a good location with roads and given the people who lived on that side of the city easy to reach location none of this traveling to the other side of the city or going to Chesterfield for care.

The land at Lightwood was owned by the Health service, and in the seventies there were plans to build the Southern General. It never happened, and as far as I am aware, the land now belongs to English Partnerships. I seem to recall hearing that the land is not much use to anybody because the cost of cleaning up the land (chemicals left over from the RAF days) are prohibitive.

The land at Lightwood was owned by the Health service, and in the seventies there were plans to build the Southern General. It never happened, and as far as I am aware, the land now belongs to English Partnerships. I seem to recall hearing that the land is not much use to anybody because the cost of cleaning up the land (chemicals left over from the RAF days) are prohibitive.

This sounds more likely verson. I wounder if any plans are about showing what it might have looked if built. Another 'what if' Sheffield pipedream.

Lightwood is not really Jordanthorpe though is it.

I lived on Jordanthorpe for many years and have never heard of a "Jordanthorpe hospital"

Most people got to Chesterfield from there "Calow" and it is quite a long way.

What Vulcan says, below:-

I used to work at Lightwood, thirty years ago, and this was exactly what we were told.

It's a shame the hospital was never built, as in the south of Sheffield we have no hospital close by. We have to travel to the other side of town for the NGH, and even the Hallamshire is a long way. We live minutes from the Lightwood site, and have, in the past, travelled to Calow Hospital instead. There was talk at the inception of the local Primary Care Trusts that the south of Sheffield would have a 'cottage' hospital to carry out basic A&E services such as x-ray, stitching of wounds etc but again, it never happened.

I understand that plans were drawn up for a large supermarket on the Lightwood site, but were ditched due to residents objections. Blooming Nimbys :rolleyes:

Archived