Thinking of starting an alternative music night

bigmanols

Hello All!

I have been toying with the idea of starting an alternative music night in Sheffield somewhere.

Nowhere seems to play the sort of music I am into and wanted to start a night for people who are into the same sort of thing as me.

I am thinking about psychedelic 60s, bit of post punk / new wave and then also some new music but not the same old indie stuff that seems to be played everywhere!

The sort of bands I was thinking of are Velvet Underground, Stooges, Joy Division, Bowie, Bauhaus, The Doors, The Cure. Just a good mix of really good music.

Do people think this could be something that could be popular in sheffield? Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated i.e. how to get a venue, preferably in the city centre. I have not done anything like this before and not really looking to make loads of money just something sustainable.

I'm really keen on this alternative scene, and would be happy DJing at any event the OP is organising. Do keep us posted or pm me with more info if I can DJ at any events you are organising.:love:

I don't know how important mixing will be with the sort of music I want to play but I am going to try and get familiar with it so I am prepared.

Btw I am 22, don't know how old you are jake?

I understand it won't be the most popular night with students but would hope I would be able to get plenty through the door.

I was thinking I would probably only be able to get a weekday night at first and hopefully build reputation from there but maybe it would be possible to get a Friday or Saturday and appeal to a wider range of people / age groups

Looks like you were brought up properly mate! That list of bands sounds like what you would have heard in Sheffied's best night club, the legendary "Limit Club" on West Street, circa 1980! :)

Hahaha, timeless classics.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice!

Just to let people know I have been in touch with the management at the Royal Standard and will be going down this Thursday to try and learn about the mixing desk and how sound is hooked up etc so hopefully I will be able to have a night going maybe beginning of next year if things go to plan.

I will keep you posted and you can all come down to freak out to some good tunes!

Archived