Duck Its The Wiggys Man!!

old tup

I,ve just been thinking about the old times in the late 50s and recollected a funny incident whilst visiting a schoolpals house at Hillfoot.At the time I was talking to his mother while he was getting ready for our night out dancing,he came into the room and we were just about to set off when there was a banging on the door.Instantly as though rehearsed his mother and my pal dived behind the sofa to the floor dragging me with them"Whats up?"says I "Keep quiet its the Wiggys man after money!".He kept banging but after a while he gave up and left we arose laughing our heads off,I had never experienced anything like this before as our old boy owed nobody anything but I found out this was the normal carry on for a lot of families then robbing Peter to pay Paul a delicate balancing act!,but funny non the less!.:hihi::hihi::roll:

I,ve just been thinking about the old times in the late 50s and recollected a funny incident whilst visiting a schoolpals house at Hillfoot.At the time I was talking to his mother while he was getting ready for our night out dancing,he came into the room and we were just about to set off when there was a banging on the door.Instantly as though rehearsed his mother and my pal dived behind the sofa to the floor dragging me with them"Whats up?"says I "Keep quiet its the Wiggys man after money!".He kept banging but after a while he gave up and left we arose laughing our heads off,I had never experienced anything like this before as our old boy owed nobody anything but I found out this was the normal carry on for a lot of families then robbing Peter to pay Paul a delicate balancing act!,but funny non the less!.:hihi::hihi::roll:

And another one,mi mum say's she's not in and she'll gi ya double next week.:hihi:

We had the same thing with the tallyman Wildgoose was his name when he was due to call on a saturday my mother would grab me and drag me into the pantry and put her hand across my gob but he was a crafty old bugger if he saw me in the street he would ask me if I wanted to go home in his Austin 12 and I would jump in and he knew my mother would be in. We went through same procedure with the coal man but fair doo's he would always drop a couple of sacks off and say pay me when you've got the money,he knew he would get paid.

We went through same the hide and seek routine when the "check man" (Pagets, and another one I can't recall) came around.

He'd heard all the excuses before, and never got upset, because everybody skipped a payment or two. and we could hide, but we couldn't run.

He once said something about lots of smoke coming from the chimney was a dead giveaway that someone was home.

Makes sense, I suppose.

Oh yes ! I was the same with Provident...:hihi:

Archived