Clearer vehicle fuel receipts.

The MP Robert Halfon has brought forward a 10 minute rule bill in parliament proposing that fuel receipts clearly display a percentage break down of what you're actually paying for, i.e the cost of the fuel itself, the VAT and the fuel duty, rather than the cost of the VAT and the duty being hidden in with the cost of the fuel.

In the name of transparancy I think this is a good idea and should be implemented.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9759000/9759167.stm

That does sound good actually, the Australians have a very good system where online you can see the exact breakdown of the fuel cost.

Of the three charges - VAT, duty and the fuel itself, the fuel is the lowest.

Edit: that may be wrong actually, but the duty is certainly the biggest part of the cost.

The MP Robert Halfon has brought forward a 10 minute rule bill in parliament proposing that fuel receipts clearly display a percentage break down of what you're actually paying for, i.e the cost of the fuel itself, the VAT and the fuel duty, rather than the cost of the VAT and the duty being hidden in with the cost of the fuel.

In the name of transparancy I think this is a good idea and should be implemented.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9759000/9759167.stm

As to VAT, yes- anyone can demand a VAT receipt in addition to any other 'cash' receipt or credit/debit card slip.

I didn't realise it was a problem?

I always ask for a VAT receipt for my fuel and it always clearly shows the fuel and VAT amounts as being separate.

I've no interest in knowing specifically what the fuel duty is because I can't change that situation and neither do I need to document if for my business. And no matter what it is, it will always be too much anyhow so...

it would get very complicated when I'm doing my expenses and it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the planet.

No it wouldn't, you'd just claim as you do know, but there would be more information (which you wouldn't need for your tax return) on the receipt.

It's not that complicated.

Archived