Oates radio/tv shop willis road

VickiTdoin

Hi everyone

From an old thread

" There was also Oates' radio/TV shop on the corner of Willis Road - the two brothers really knew their stuff and could be relied upon for advice on repairs, what to buy etc "

Does anyone remember the forenames of the brothers please and roughly what years they traded to - 1970s?

Thanks

VickiTdoin

No exactly a reply but perhaps more information. The shop next door on the corner of Wadsley Lane & Middlewood Road was a grocery shop also owned/run by Oates which I recall in the 50s and 60s. If my memory is correct they would have been the parents of the two brothers. Father possiby Jack and one of the two sons maybe David? I recall my parents getting a weekly grocery delivery to the house in Milden road where we lived then from Oates, usually brought by one of the boys.

Hi VickiTdoin - One of the Oates brothers was Geoffrey. I don't know the other brother's name, but....

Looking at the history of the business in the directories I have, the 1925 Kelly's Directory shows "John Edward Oates, grocer" at 269 Middlewood Road. By 1942 "Jn. Edwd. Oates, baker" is shown at at 267 Middlewood Road, and "Jn. Edwd. Oates, grocer" next door at 269. The 1954 directory shows "J.D. Oates, grocer" at 267-269 Middlewood Road. By 1965 "J.D. Oates, Radio & television supplies" had been established at No 267 Middlewood Road, with "J.D. Oates, grocer" still at 269.

Going back a bit further, in the 1911 census return "John Edward Oates, grocer" is at No 269 Middlewood Road, with his wife Ethel and one year-old son John Daniel - so this perhaps explains the 1950s change to J.D. Oates for the grocer's business if John Daniel took over. Public records show that a John D. Oates married a Dorothy Wilson locally in 1932, and possible children are John A. Oates, born 1937 and Geoffrey Oates, born 1944 - so perhaps the two brothers were John and Geoffrey?

John Edward Oates died in 1949, aged 65, and John Daniel Oates died aged 69 in 1979. I don't know when the radio & TV shop closed, but it was still there in 1978 as I moved house in that year and bought a TV aerial from them. The 2003 electoral roll shows a John A. and Geoffrey Oates sharing an S35 address.

Archived