Starbucks and its tax position- MEGATHREAD

Big chains have their place. You know what you are going to get in a Starbucks or a costa anywhere in the country and for someone who travels alot, that's helpful. They clearly don't pay enough tax but it will take a fairly big shift in British mentality to boycott them. I can't see it happening.

Not many people boycotting Starbucks this morning as it was absolutely packed.

And with the Christmas flavours on the horizon (Ginergread Latte, Eggnog Latte on a freezing cold December day yum yum) the chances of Starbucks losing money at this time of year seems very remote.

Judgeing by all the people in there today, the product seems to be king. Yes, everyone says its rubbish coffee, but if thats the case, why are there coffee shops always full?

No tax paid, are people boycotting? they weren't this morning ( I wish they would boycott - especially between 9am, and 10am, then I could read my newspaper in peace)

Perhaps it's just another example of how bad UK society has become?

How is it bad to enjoy a cup of coffee from Starbucks..?

Not very. I like their coffee but don't really like going in there, but that's personal preference. Is it any worse than using HSBC ? Any worse than making a phonecall with Vodafone ? Filling up at bp ?

You will need to leave a sheltered and complicated life if you intend to avoid companies who you don't think pay enough tax.

Thing is news reports like this make nice headlines but come the weekend most people will have totally forgotten about it as they order a skinny latte after a days shopping at meadowhall.

Well to be honest it is a total non story. Starbucks are an American firm listed on the US stock market. They declare their profits in the US where they pay dividends to their shareholders.

In that respect they are like many other overseas companies who provide jobs to British workers who do pay income tax in the UK, and the companies also pay VAT. But if folk want to boycott firms who are listed overseas and pay little tax here there are bigger fish to aim for.

Kellogs

Ebay

Facebook

Microsoft

Coca Cola

McDonalds

etc etc.

They don't pay much corporation tax but provide millions of jobs.

Well to be honest it is a total non story. Starbucks are an American firm listed on the US stock market. They declare their profits in the US where they pay dividends to their shareholders.

In that respect they are like many other overseas companies who provide jobs to British workers who do pay income tax in the UK, and the companies also pay VAT. But if folk want to boycott firms who are listed overseas and pay little tax here there are bigger fish to aim for.

Kellogs

Ebay

Facebook

Microsoft

Coca Cola

McDonalds

etc etc.

They don't pay much corporation tax but provide millions of jobs.

I suspect there are British companies doing it in reverse..ie earning overseas and paying the tax over here..

I suspect there are British companies doing it in reverse..ie earning overseas and paying the tax over here..

The perfect example would be Costa who are a British based coffee chain listed on the UK stock market. They have overseas operations wholly owned by the UK parent company.

Then people might give their coffee money to a responsible company which pays it's share of taxes and pays decent wages. It is an outrageous suggestion! Where would it leave self-centred, greedy tossrags if more people were motivated by the common good?

I like this post :thumbsup:

You would think people going into Starbucks enjoying a cuppa were commiting an awful crime.

For god sake, like many big companies I'm guessing they are sick of the waste and proping up things like the EU, Foregn Aid and other area where money gets thrown around.

Why should anyone listen to MPs who highlight this? after all a good number of them are also on the fiddle as well.

Archived