Starbucks and its tax position- MEGATHREAD

What Starbucks and their ilk do is stealing. When they steal from us it means worse healthcare for us and our families, worse education for our kids, more limited lives for ill and disabled people, a worsening natural environment and worse housing for many. That's why we should get angry about it.

What Starbucks and their ilk do is stealing. When they steal from us it means worse healthcare for us and our families, worse education for our kids, more limited lives for ill and disabled people, a worsening natural environment and worse housing for many. That's why we should get angry about it.

Correctamundo.

There is no marketing, the product is simply excellent. I think so, and so do all the other people who enjoy a cuppa each day. Its so packed I can't read my newspaper in peace and at times its impossible to get a seat.

If as you say "marketing" is brainwashing people and the product is rubbish, then why do people give repeat custom day after day?

If the product was rubbish, people would stay away and the business would go under

Spot on if their product was that bad there is no way they would be that successful.

I think saying that people are brainwashed is rather insulting to the genral public to be honest.

As is often the case the real world is a very different place from the forum where there seems to be an almost universal bias against big business.

Poppycock, they create jobs and wealth for people who work for them.

If you want more money for education, then cut foregn aid and stop people coming into the country scrounging money from the benefits system

Spot on if their product was that bad there is no way they would be that successful.

I think saying that people are brainwashed is rather insulting to the genral public to be honest.

As is often the case the real world is a very different place from the forum where there seems to be an almost universal bias against big business.

Exactly, If coffee in Starbucks or Costa was that crap people just wouldn't go. I was in Starbucks on Eccy Rd this lunchtime and it was busy. Eccy Rd isn't exactly short on coffee shops giving people down that part of town plenty of opportunity to vote with their feet.

Only time will tell if the revelations of their tax arrangements have hit Starbuck's profits. I think your view that the public couldn't care less is not borne out by the results from a survey by YouGov which reported that the Starbucks 'brand' has plummeted:

"On Thursday, YouGov's BrandIndex, which records the strength of companies' brand identity, revealed Starbucks has plummeted in the past few days. Its "buzz" score, which measures the number of negative and positive comments customers have heard, reached a four-year low, falling to -13.9 from +0.7. Its reputation score has also fallen from 4.6 a week ago to -3.9 on Thursday and could continue to drop.

Sarah Murphy of BrandIndex said: "To say this story has been a disaster for the Starbucks brand would be a bit of an understatement. It's still too early to say what the long-term impact of this is going to be, but in the current climate we've seen the public take a fairly dim view towards accusations of corporate greed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/oct/18/uk-uncut-targets-starbucks-tax?commentpage=2#start-of-comments

Poppycock, they create jobs and wealth for people who work for them.

If you want more money for education, then cut foregn aid and stop people coming into the country scrounging money from the benefits system

That's an interesting comment given the topic under discussion. 10 times as much money is stolen in avoided/evaded tax from developing countries each year than is given to them in foreign aid. If the multinationals paid their taxes then governments in developed countries would not give foreign aid and economic migration would fall.

I strongly suggest you read this http://treasureislands.org/the-author/ I really think it would be an eye-opener for you. It certainly was for me. Don't buy it from Amazon though, they don't pay their taxes.

Only time will tell if the revelations of their tax arrangements have hit Starbuck's profits. I think your view that the public couldn't care less is not borne out by the results from a survey by YouGov which reported that the Starbucks 'brand' has plummeted:

"On Thursday, YouGov's BrandIndex, which records the strength of companies' brand identity, revealed Starbucks has plummeted in the past few days. Its "buzz" score, which measures the number of negative and positive comments customers have heard, reached a four-year low, falling to -13.9 from +0.7. Its reputation score has also fallen from 4.6 a week ago to -3.9 on Thursday and could continue to drop.

Sarah Murphy of BrandIndex said: "To say this story has been a disaster for the Starbucks brand would be a bit of an understatement. It's still too early to say what the long-term impact of this is going to be, but in the current climate we've seen the public take a fairly dim view towards accusations of corporate greed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/oct/18/uk-uncut-targets-starbucks-tax?commentpage=2#start-of-comments

Vodafone and Boots have had very negative stories regarding their tax arrangements. Do we know if those stories have had any major impact on these 2 high street brands.

I have a feeling the Starbucks story will be quickly replaced by something else.

Vodafone and Boots have had very negative stories regarding their tax arrangements. Do we know if those stories have had any major impact on these 2 high street brands.

I have a feeling the Starbucks story will be quickly replaced by something else.

I think what it will do is add to the growing understanding among the population that the rich elite use the financial secrecy system to hoard vast wealth where it is hard to see, that the politics of 'democracy' as well as dictatorship supports this and has no interest in stopping it, and that most peoples' standard of living will be steadily eroded based on the idea that 'we' can't afford any better, when 'we' deliberately excludes the rich.

I doubt it will change peoples' shopping habits much but I do think it will make people more and more cynical about liberal democracy and electoral politics. What happens once only a minority have any faith in 'democracy' is anyone's guess, but it'll be interesting if nothing else.

Starbucks will never go out of business.

Lets be truthfull, whenever there is an "anti austerity", "stop the cuts" or "I'm very poor" type of protest. The wealthy liberal jolly chums always have a cup of starbucks to keep them warm.

When its protest day, starbucks must see an increase in business.

I can see it now "protest against starbucks for not paying tax" - but first, I need to get a "starbucks" to drink and keep warm.

Archived