Starbucks and its tax position- MEGATHREAD

Why doesn't the government cut expenditure instead of spending more than they have coming in?

Why doesnt the Govt stop the Mandarins moving to fire arms companies?

Why doesnt the Govt cut expenditure for their white elephant schemes?

Why doesnt the Govt collect the right & proper tax and have a HMRC dept that is fit for purpose?

Lets sort out all the corruption in the Govt / big business and then look at expenditure hey?

Because some people think jobs would be lost, then again these same people want to boycott Starbucks so jobs would be lost. :huh:

Whilst your scratching your head.....have a wee think about it.

If an Independent coffee shop was in the place of Starbucks, would any jobs be lost?

If you don't like the fact they only paid 8million don't go there. Sadly that's all you can do. Hmrc could send a team of 20 to Starbucks and the figures will probably stay the same. It might be right - they've expanded massively in that time and that can't be cheap. They also employ people wich is a good thing, although mostly part time I'd guess. But £8m just doesn't sound enough.

Another tabloid lie to get people enraged.

Headline: Good bean counters? Starbucks has paid no tax in UK since 2009

No tax. Nothing?

Article: Starbucks has exploited accounting tricks to pay almost no UK tax

Ah, so now it's "almost".

Read on.

Article: An investigation showed that the coffee company has paid only £8m in corporation tax

So it's gone from "none" to "almost none" to "£8 million".

I wonder how much it will be by the end of the article and will it still be an outrage.

Does it say how much VAT they paid?

Whilst your scratching your head.....have a wee think about it.

If an Independent coffee shop was in the place of Starbucks, would any jobs be lost?

There are already other coffee shops in competition with Starbucks, but people like Starbucks, I don't use any other coffee shop other than Starbucks, if Starbucks didn't exist I wouldn't spend my money, if there are enough people like me then jobs would be lost and there would also be less competition so prices would rise.

Why doesn't the government cut expenditure instead of spending more than they have coming in?

You are right. They could start by not spending a penny supporting companies that behave in this way.

How about digging up the roads outside all of the branches of Starbucks and Boots, piling the debris nice and high outside the shop doors. Then they could extinguish the streetlights near them. Then they could withhold Police and Fire service cover from them, if they catch fire or get robbed, so be it.

That might just stop these huge companies from fleecing the public purse.

A fairly depressing article here (one of many today) explaining how Starbucks have paid no tax at all in the UK since 2009, and only £8m in the 14 years they've been in the UK, despite sales of 3 billion.

Disgraceful given the state the country's in - think I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, and hope that people will show them the error of their ways by boycotting them

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/good-bean-counters-starbucks-has-paid-no-tax-in-uk-since-2009-8212579.html

No taxes paid.

Who can blame them?

If I was in their position I'd do the same

You are right. They could start by not spending a penny supporting companies that behave in this way.

How about digging up the roads outside all of the branches of Starbucks and Boots, piling the debris nice and high outside the shop doors. Then they could extinguish the streetlights near them. Then they could withhold Police and Fire service cover from them, if they catch fire or get robbed, so be it.

That might just stop these huge companies from fleecing the public purse.

Brilliant.

A fairly depressing article here (one of many today) explaining how Starbucks have paid no tax at all in the UK since 2009, and only £8m in the 14 years they've been in the UK, despite sales of 3 billion.

Disgraceful given the state the country's in - think I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, and hope that people will show them the error of their ways by boycotting them

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/good-bean-counters-starbucks-has-paid-no-tax-in-uk-since-2009-8212579.html

Blame the Inland Revenue Service. It's their job to see that businesses pay taxes. They must be a sloppy lot if they let Starbucks get away with it.

Archived