Starbucks and its tax position- MEGATHREAD

not saying that.. boycotts can make companies bahave better. Barclays pulled out of south africa because of the anti apartheid boycotts.

and I like to support smaller local businesses and more ethical ones before the big boys, but I'm not perfect I still get odd bits from Tescos:gag:

Maybe they should all close down and leave then?

Then people might give their coffee money to a responsible company which pays it's share of taxes and pays decent wages. It is an outrageous suggestion! Where would it leave self-centred, greedy tossrags if more people were motivated by the common good?

By not playing by the rules that the smaller more often local businesses, they then gain an unfair advantage. And continue to take a bigger part of their market.

Have you noticed how each sector normally have 5 or 6 big businesses and they control most of that market. Before you know it, the cartels start putting up prices beyond inflation. Think Gas / Electricity / Banking / Supermarkets / Transport etc.

Now, if you didnt grasp this properly yet, they do make profit, they just avoid the taxes. Ask yourself how this is good for you.

These companies are audited - they can't make a profit and not declare it.

Unless of course you can PROVE otherwise.

Granted, they may cross borders to do balance figures, but there are plenty of uk companies that bring wealth back to the uk in the same way.

Granted, they may cross borders to do balance figures, but there are plenty of uk companies that bring wealth back to the uk in the same way.

It is pretty straightforward business practice between branches of international corporations. Basically you can charge management fees for the head office, a fee for using the brand name, and what you want for basic comodities. It increases the profit made by Starbucks in the US and reduces it here. BP tend to do the same in reverse.

But I still wouldn't drink their coffee its just mass produced corporate crap.

By not playing by the rules that the smaller more often local businesses, they then gain an unfair advantage. And continue to take a bigger part of their market.

Have you noticed how each sector normally have 5 or 6 big businesses and they control most of that market. Before you know it, the cartels start putting up prices beyond inflation. Think Gas / Electricity / Banking / Supermarkets / Transport etc.

Now, if you didnt grasp this properly yet, they do make profit, they just avoid the taxes. Ask yourself how this is good for you.

YAWN, I'm suddenly feeling sleepy.

See post 9.

Also, name those UK companies that bring back wealth and please link to their corporate websites. :)

Archived