Starbucks and its tax position- MEGATHREAD

On News at ten tonight an MP has advised people to boycott Starbucks for non payment of corporation tax.

This is a tax on their profits, and they have paid £0. As the MP said there are plenty of other coffee shops on the high street that pay their fair share, so people can show their disapproval by voting with their feet and using those.

I know this has been mentioned before, but it's the first time I've heard a member of Parliament suggest it. Maybe this is the start of real people power.

I know this has been mentioned before, but it's the first time I've heard a member of Parliament suggest it.
Why, rather than asking others to do his bidding, doesn't he do his job instead, and close the relevant Act/Statute loophole(s) allowing Starbucks to do that? :confused::huh:

I agree with all of the above. Tax in this country is a complete mess, which is how accountants can find so many loopholes to crawl through. But the one thing that will make big business sit up and take notice is when they start to lose trade.

Think how many have 'suddenly' developed a social conscience when the public became critical. Honestly, we have more power than we know, it just has to be organised.

Why, rather than asking others to do his bidding, doesn't he do his job instead, and close the relevant Act/Statute loophole(s) allowing Starbucks to do that? :confused::huh:

We can but hope.

In the meantime, I shall be getting my coffee from Remos. Actually, I don't think I've ever been in Starbucks and I'm not starting now.

Maybe, whilst they are shutting the loopholes, the Government could publish the amounts of tax paid by all large businesses. Then we could all decide who we'd like to spend our money with.

Can't stand Starbucks anyway , but have boycotted the following :

Virgin - for trying to profit from the NHS (shame on you ) and killing a few rain forests in order to send me childish "promos"- so you think you can turn me on , eh ??? And the s%@t they send by post can't even be composted !

HSBC - for LIBOR and alleged drug money laundering

Big Six power suppliers - I have no choice , but to cancel monthly DD and insist on quarterly bills which I will pay at MY convenience and when I am ready

TV licence - again might cancel DD and wait and see what happens

People power , love it :hihi::D

HSBC - for LIBOR and alleged drug money laundering

I'm just in the process of moving my account from them to a mutual.

I opened my account with the Midland Bank in Rotherham in 1981.

Archived