How much would drinks prices have to rise before you stop going to the pub?

How much would drinks prices have to rise before you said enough and stopped going to the pub?

There seems to be a steady increase in drinks prices in pubs around the country. I was recently charged £3.60 for a pint of ordinary hand pulled ale in a Sheffield bar, and witnessed a guy order a pint of Coke, receive a glass full of ice and some draught cola for which the barman was asking £3.50. He simply turned round and walked out of the bar without paying or touching his drink.

How much would you pay before you turned and walked out? Or have you already been priced out of the pubs?

According to the news report (below) from April this year there are 50 pubs closing per week. At the prices quoted above in the OP it is hard to have any sympathy at all for the pubs that charge like that when they know what is happening to their trade.

I guess some people must still be paying those prices though.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/research-50-pubs-closing-week-115812905.html

Don't often visit the pub anymore, but there are a few pubs I still visit occasionally, I won't pay more than £2, unless it's a special occasion. I will walk out of a pub based upon price, make a point of asking the price or looking at the prices up by the side of the bar now to avoid ordering a drink and wasting it/costing the pub money.

To be fair, lots of pubs should state the price before pouring, especially if they charge above £2.50 a pint, to avoid wastage.

Pubs I visit more often beer ranges from £1.60- £2.00,

£1 or under from shop.

Homebrew a lot less.

You visit pubs? But they are landlords!!! You're paying a fee for the use of their land, for the price of drinking on their premises.

Oh dear chem1st, oh dear.

The only people that can afford to drink are pensioners. They are drinking out more than ever, the amount of people of working age drinking has declined across the board.
I disagree. I and all my pals can afford to drink, is that because we own land?

According to the news report (below) from April this year there are 50 pubs closing per week. At the prices quoted above in the OP it is hard to have any sympathy at all for the pubs that charge like that when they know what is happening to their trade.

I guess some people must still be paying those prices though.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/research-50-pubs-closing-week-115812905.html

Some pubs have no choice..blame the big brewery companies that they're tied to..

Archived