How much would drinks prices have to rise before you stop going to the pub?

The government doesn't want people going out and causing trouble, so why not get your kicks from alternatives ... glue sniffing anyone, how about drinking meths? It has nothing to do with health, do fall for that one.

The only people that can afford to drink are pensioners. They are drinking out more than ever, the amount of people of working age drinking has declined across the board.

This doesn't appear to be remotely true on a Friday night in town.

Some pubs have no choice..blame the big brewery companies that they're tied to..

I agree. Some of the breweries where the pub is a tied house can only buy their beer from that particular brewery. It's sometimes double or even triple the price that they can get it elsewhere.

I don't know why the breweries do that. It's self defeating, hence a lot of the tied pubs close because they just can't make a profit.

There's a pub which recently closed on Manor Top which I pass on my way to and from work. (is it the Partridge?...) It's been closed and boarded up, and has a 'to let' sign outside. I can't see anyone taking it on because I would wonder why it closed in the first place! Couldn't make any money?

Then of course I do believe a lot of pubs have struggled since the smoking ban. (Puts tin hat on and hides under table).

I rarely visit pubs there days, unless I want a pub lunch. Then I have the meal and leave, especially if it's full of kids (toddlers). They're not social places any more.

It speaks volumes to me in that the 'Costa Coffee' chain of coffee shops is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Whitbread Breweries PLC. It's the second largest chain of coffee shops in the world.

Diversification is laudable. But it just demonstrates to me that the pub trade is dying out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Coffee

It speaks volumes to me in that the 'Costa Coffee' chain of coffee shops is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Whitbread Breweries PLC. It's the second largest chain of coffee shops in the world.

Diversification is laudable. But it just demonstrates to me that the pub trade is dying out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Coffee

There is no such company as Whitbread Breweries PLC. You see Whitbread don't own any breweries or brew any beer.

There is no such company as Whitbread Breweries PLC. You see Whitbread don't own any breweries or brew any beer.

Really?...Oh, actually on checking you're right!

But they once were a brewery, and sold all their pub interests. Although the 'whitbread' brand still remains available.

Having said that, it just goes to reitterate and strengthen my point that the pub trade is dying, otherwise they wouldn't have sold the interest in brewing!

Actually, it looks like they are still in the pub chain game according to this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitbread

"How much would drinks prices have to rise before you stop going to the pub?"

I think if you look at the demise of the "local" pubs around South Yorkshire, I think it has happened allready. For a great deal of people in and around S. Yorks times are very hard indeed, beer is now expensive, telly (satellite) is better at entertaining us, far cheaper to visit the Supermarket and have mates round to yours, there are quite a few reasons why the Pubs are on the slide.

Angel.

Angel sums it up perfectly. I paid £4 for a pint in a London pub near Warwick Avenue tube station last night. That's my limit and that's already taking the pi**.

As I had to listen to some of the irritating shouty people in there I wondered what the point of pubs was now they are so expensive. It's common sense to pay far less and be in a controlled environment like a friends house.

I don't know why the breweries do that. It's self defeating, hence a lot of the tied pubs close because they just can't make a profit.

Maybe the pubs have more value as a property asset than as a pub...I've seen places where pubs have been knocked down and 4 or 5 houses built on the plot..

Archived