Work related advice

am wondering if anyone can tell me if my employer is breaking the law as doesnt seem legal.

so i work for a valeting company who in turn provide valeters for car dealerships. but i work for them as a self employed person so i pay my own tax and n.i.

now i am 22 and i work 5 full days and half a day saturday and i get paid £45 a day. after that £45 a day £247 a week i get £20 deducted for public liability insurance and i pay 7% for materials so i take £206 a week home before i pay tax and n.i

now for someone my age minimum wage is £6.19 and i work 44 hours a week so £272 a week before tax and n.i

so i am getting £66 a week less than minimum wage can they do this as it just seems wrong and illegal

thanks in advance steve

The key is so i work for a valeting company who in turn provide valeters for car dealerships. but i work for them as a self employed person so i pay my own tax and n.i.

This is what a regulation called IR35 was designed to protect. In reality you are not self employed your employer is using it as a tax avoidance measure.

No it doesn't.

You're correct there is no minimum wage for self employment although I'd suggest you get your own liability cover as that seems rather excessive, I also strongly suggest that the company is just using it as an employers national insurance, holiday & sickpay avoidance scheme, not to mention they can get rid of you any time they wish, do you chose your own hours? Do you also work for other companies? If not then you are in effect employed by the company, tread carefully because if the HMRC decide you are an employee I'm not sure whether its you or the company they would chase for backdated paye & ni

Archived