Work related advice

try sourcing your own liability insurance because £20 per week is extortionate....over a grand for liability insurance is way too much....if you need to contact someone about it called Lloyd here....

Also as you are self employed you are responsible for your own tax and NI but you should not be paying NI....you pay something called your stamp....which is £2.40(ish) a week....take into account your materials paid for and you allowances that it actualy costs YOY as a self employed person and take them off your annual earnings and you wont be paying any tax at all as the threshold is 9500 a year before tax is payable....being self employed can work in your favour if you are a low earner....

So having deducted your materials and PL you are left with £206....take fuel allowance and any other direct costs IE motor insurance as you really should have declared it to your insurer as you are using your motor vehicle in relation to your business....tax....maintenance of said vehicle the list goes on....and you will soon be into negative tax banding.....my advice would be to get the whole shabang of what you can and cant claim for from a well respected accountant and you should be paying nil tax due to your low earnings....

HTH

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm#1

The personal tax allowance is £8105

Car insurance for commuting purposes isn't an allowable expense. Neither are tax or maintenance. It would need to be used solely for business for any of that to be an expense.

None of which is very important as it sounds like his employer is probably in breach of IR35 legislation as he isn't really self employed at all.

yeah you are right for the moment on allowance but it is set to be 9500 in the next tax year....as for allowances they are if he is using it for business....if not then again you are correct but if he is self employed there are a heck of a lot of direct costs that can be offset against his taxable allowance....which is what my post was trying to highlight....

But if he does feel that he needs to register as self employed then he could also register a vehicle to that....which is what i would be doing....

In the instance of Benefit in kind as you say he would just calculate the usage when used for business....therefore not all of the expenses are claimed....even still the benefit far out weighs the odd bit he wouldnt be able to claim against....but lets not go round in circles the guy wants to know whether or not the company he is working for are breaking the law....well no one on here can give a definitive answer as we have no terms and conditions or contract to look at....think its time for a HMRC call....for the OP....

good public liability insurance is around £100 to £150 a year , thats what i paid self employed think it was for £1,000,000

I pay £450 which is relative to my business....this also includes and covers me for training purposes, 2mill and amongst others items worked upon....which in the form of valeting he made need....this would ensure that if he did damage any part of the car whilst working on it he would be covered....finding cover like that is nigh on impossible if you dont know where to look...

Now assuming he works on Mercedes Benz...gets an SLS in matt grey....proceeds to wash it and unfortunately using the incorrect procedure for such a colour....and ends up putting flat spots on the paintwork that appear to be gloss areas....this would permanently damage the matt paintwork and is irreversible....paintwork cost on an £85k car in matt....around 7k....can bet your bottom dollar he doesnt have insurance to cover it....these are things that need to be taken into consideration when working on not only high end cars but any....one scratch scuff etc and you better know that you are covered....

i work for the same car dealership all the time:(

Then the Inland Revenue will see you as an employee.

You need to have several different and distinct sources of income to be classed as self-employed.

If the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, it will usually mean that the worker is self-employed:

• Can they hire someone to do the work or engage helpers at their own expense?
  • Do they risk their own money?
  • Do they provide the main items of equipment they need to do their job, not just the small tools that many employees provide for themselves?
  • Do they agree to do a job for a fixed price regardless of how long the job may take?
  • Can they decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?
  • Do they regularly work for a number of different people?
  • Do they have to correct unsatisfactory work in their own time and at their own expense?

LINK

In the instance of Benefit in kind as you say he would just calculate the usage when used for business....therefore not all of the expenses are claimed....even still the benefit far out weighs the odd bit he wouldnt be able to claim against....but lets not go round in circles the guy wants to know whether or not the company he is working for are breaking the law....well no one on here can give a definitive answer as we have no terms and conditions or contract to look at....think its time for a HMRC call....for the OP....

If he's merely commuting then there is no business use that he could claim for.

Except mileage as petrol expenses of course at 45p/mile.

I pay £450 which is relative to my business....this also includes and covers me for training purposes, 2mill and amongst others items worked upon....which in the form of valeting he made need....this would ensure that if he did damage any part of the car whilst working on it he would be covered....finding cover like that is nigh on impossible if you dont know where to look...

Now assuming he works on Mercedes Benz...gets an SLS in matt grey....proceeds to wash it and unfortunately using the incorrect procedure for such a colour....and ends up putting flat spots on the paintwork that appear to be gloss areas....this would permanently damage the matt paintwork and is irreversible....paintwork cost on an £85k car in matt....around 7k....can bet your bottom dollar he doesnt have insurance to cover it....these are things that need to be taken into consideration when working on not only high end cars but any....one scratch scuff etc and you better know that you are covered....

funny you should mention mercedes as that is where i work lol and if we damage a car in any way then we have to pay for it out of our wages. i dont think we are allowed to get our own insurance they take the money out of our wages before they pay us.

funny you should mention mercedes as that is where i work lol and if we damage a car in any way then we have to pay for it out of our wages. i dont think we are allowed to get our own insurance they take the money out of our wages before they pay us.

So why do you have to pay for your public liability insurance?

Archived