Finally got that grayling!

chidorii

this is the first year I've really gotten my teeth into the don and I've gotta say it's been I real eye opener. I have been on the still water exclusively for far too long!

listening to you guys, I am beginning to realise my tackle needs a mix up and my angling skills need fine tuning (and the rest) too!

a river can really sort the men from the boys, i grew up fishing the river don around the salmon pastures stretch. i really miss my river sessions but am going to start going again for definite. if you want to start fishing the rivers and keep mobile just get yourself a pair of waders, a float rod(12 or 13ft) with smallish reel (2500 or ideally a closefaced reel) and a bait apron. a couple of different stickfloats a tub of number 4 shots and a packet of size 16 hooks. set up a simple stick float set up with the float connected to the line with rubbers then just put the required amount of shot in a bulk about a foot from the hook, this way you can easily change the depth to suit the swim by simply sliding the float up and down the line. then all you need is a pint of maggots and a small tin of hemp. it is amazing how different the river looks when you are stood in it, and you will find swims you never knew existed. dont spend too long in one stretch just drip feed the swim withy maggots and hemp and have a few runs through then move on to the next swim. it really is exciting fishing!!!

• 1 month later...

Although I've fished the Sheaf occasionally for a few years, since the summer holidays, apart from a few trips to the Don, it's the only place I've visited to catch fish. I've caught brown trout in several spots from Granville Square to Millhouses Park, with some really fine specimens amongst them. I have had a very good rainbow out opposite the Bridge Inn in Heeley, and also beneath the bridge on Saxon Road.

Caught plenty of grayling along the Don. Currently I am only fishing below the weir at Salmon Pastures when I do visit the Don and getting plenty of grayling. I'm enjoying my fishing so much I've started a new blog - Steel City River Blog. You can read my first post here: steelcityriverblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/my-favourite-rainbow/ ‎

Not sure how much it weighed - but it must have been 14 or 15 inches long. Looked in prime condition, and as I've said, I'm sure it's the same fish that has broken me twice. Had a couple more rainbow out just below Broadfield Road - probably 10 inches long. Again, healthy looking fish and with a slightly deeper body.

I'm on for the weekend, can't wait, even though I may loose a finger or toe to frost bite.

I know chub, trout and grayling will be feeding (well likely) - is there much chance of anything else? Is there ever ever a winter barbel?

I'll be happy with a fish or two or any sort though!

• 2 months later...
happy to say I finally netted a grayling, what a wonderful fish they are!

it was about 12 oz, I wonder how big they get in the Don?

As I've mentioned it, what are you guys PBs?

I had my first grayling out of the don today about apound n a quater... was really happy to catch this fish, really is the "lady of the river" gave a great fight the only one i had plus 4 good brownies in about 2 hour stroll.:D:D:D:D:D:D

i had my first grayling out of the don today about apound n a quater... Was really happy to catch this fish, really is the "lady of the river" gave a great fight the only one i had plus 4 good brownies in about 2 hour stroll.:D:d:d:d:d:d

nice fish mate!what stretch was you fishing on ?

Archived