Best and worst pubs?,

jemson

Nice article in the Star last night about two chaps who had visited every pub in Sheffield, some 500 odd of them, over a number of years.

I'm relatively new to Sheffield, well 6 years, and I reckon I've been to a fair few. Not sure about worst though. Anyone? And best?

Or anyone know how many they've been to?!?

Alot of the truly terrible pubs in Sheffield in Sheffield have closed though you only have to visit some of the more "socially challenged" areas (Manor, Arbourthorne, Low Edges etc) if you fancy a pint of John Smiths smooth and a fight. An interesting location is The Brown Bear in town. Nice cheap Sam Smiths beer and the pub itself was tastefully tarted up a while back. Unfortunately every time I go in there someone tries to sell me some frozen meat or a pair of trainers.

If I could only pick one pub as my favourite it would have to be The Sheaf View but then I do live locally. No Fosters. No bandits. Sensible prices. Great beer choice. Pipers crisps. What more could you want.

Which pubs on the Manor do you mean?

Which would you recommend?

Think they named Farfield at Neepsend as worst (closed?)

Dot - concur about Shakespeare. Great beer, character and top drawer bar staff. The music stuff there is a winner too IMO.

Nice article in the Star last night about two chaps who had visited every pub in Sheffield, some 500 odd of them, over a number of years.

I'm relatively new to Sheffield, well 6 years, and I reckon I've been to a fair few. Not sure about worst though. Anyone? And best?

Or anyone know how many they've been to?!?

After coming here to go to University in 1988 I once got a Thomsons local directory and went down the pub listings crossing out all the pubs I'd been to. In just over a year I'd already clocked up over a hundred.

I stopped counting when there was that period in the early 90's when everything went "Oirish" and pub names started being changed to Fingal O'Reilly's and I could no longer keep track of which pubs I'd been in under which name.

After coming here to go to University in 1988 I once got a Thomsons local directory and went down the pub listings crossing out all the pubs I'd been to. In just over a year I'd already clocked up over a hundred.

I stopped counting when there was that period in the early 90's when everything went "Oirish" and pub names started being changed to Fingal O'Reilly's and I could no longer keep track of which pubs I'd been in under which name.

What a dreadful period that was the worst offenders being in my opinion The York at Broomhill and The Hornblower off West St but the worst ever was when the ripped the heart out of The Nottingham and turned it into one of the Firkin chain pubs it has never recovered.:(

Worst and best pubs in Sheffield? Hen and Chickens on Castle Green not that brilliant needs a fair bit of money spending on it more a bottom end pub. Big Gun is a pub where you take it as it is. Most of the so called rough pubs are now history like my old locals: Cannon, Market Tavern, Parkway Tavern,Cossack (gay not rough) , Pump. (never a problem pub I used it a lot and was not best pleased when it shut down) The best pubs seems to be in the Kelhelm Island area a right real ale mecca. Not tired the Sheaf seems to get good reports been in the White Lion at Heeley has a nice old world feel to it. Lastly the Norton at Meadowhead ok.

Archived