Best and worst pubs?,

jemson

Which would you recommend?

Think they named Farfield at Neepsend as worst (closed?)

Dot - concur about Shakespeare. Great beer, character and top drawer bar staff. The music stuff there is a winner too IMO.

Just a quick post. The Farfield at Neepsend has closed. The pub was flood damaged in 2007 and never reopened its now very derelict.

Which would you recommend?

Think they named Farfield at Neepsend as worst (closed?)

Dot - concur about Shakespeare. Great beer, character and top drawer bar staff. The music stuff there is a winner too IMO.

The question was to Barry.

Surely the Magnet was a lot “livelier” than the Farfield?

Just a quick post. The Farfield at Neepsend has closed. The pub was flood damaged in 2007 and never reopened its now very derelict.

Shame in that it has a reasonable location and could become part of the Valley of Beer thing, between the Gardeners and Hillsboro Hotel.

I don't think there's a single pub in the whole Manor/Arbourthorne/Intake area I'd want to spend an afternoon in, perhaps partly due to the total lack of anything decent to drink. If I'm going to spend the best part of £3 on a pint I want to at least enjoy it.

One place I've often wondered about is The John O' Gaunt on Blackstock Road. I drive by this place all the time though funnily enough I've never been in. Judging by the state of the exterior it's difficult to tell if it's even still open but if it is the image I have in my mind is not one of Guardian readers enjoying a quiet pint of Erdinger....

I don't think there's a single pub in the whole Manor/Arbourthorne/Intake area I'd want to spend an afternoon in, perhaps partly due to the total lack of anything decent to drink. If I'm going to spend the best part of £3 on a pint I want to at least enjoy it.

One place I've often wondered about is The John O' Gaunt on Blackstock Road. I drive by this place all the time though funnily enough I've never been in. Judging by the state of the exterior it's difficult to tell if it's even still open but if it is the image I have in my mind is not one of Guardian readers enjoying a quiet pint of Erdinger....

The Gaunt is well and truly open my friend. It amazes me how, but its open.

I know a few people who do go in and the beer / lager is suppose to be spot on !

What a dreadful period that was the worst offenders being in my opinion The York at Broomhill and The Hornblower off West St but the worst ever was when the ripped the heart out of The Nottingham and turned it into one of the Firkin chain pubs it has never recovered.:(

Correct mate, what a dreadful "stuffed shirts in boardrooms thinking they know what the public wants" period, I used to avoid these pubs like the potato blight.

My particular hatred was for Scruffy O Murphys on West St (I think).

Archived