Best and worst pubs?,

jemson

Its amazing to think of all the pubs that have gone, all 4 on the Norfolk Park, and in town Marples, Mossleys, Blue Bell, Top Three Tuns (Leopold Street), Golden Ball, Pump Tavern, Minerva, Yorkhire Grey, Saddle and Royal Oak (West Bar). Thank God the Dove is still there bless thier cotton socks!

Then at Hillsborough The Victoria, Rose Inn, and Cambridge.

Which pubs on the Manor do you mean?

The only pub on the Manor estate I can think of nowadays is the Merrie Monk on Manor Park Centre.

I wouldn't know what the worst pub in Sheffield is as I'm a bit of a pub snob and as such I prefer to avoid bad pubs.

As to the best, I would suggest the Sheaf View and Shakespeare's as all round quality pubs.

The Farfield closed in the '90's.The landlord allegedly won't let it go for less than half a million...

It was definitely open more recently than the '90s. I went in it about 2003/04 and immediately concluded it was the worst pub in Sheffield I'd been in and one of the worst I'd ever been in anywhere. The pumps, bar, furniture and windows were covered in grime. There was junk piled up on the window cills and dirty tea mugs rather than glasses on the tables. The staff were as you might expect in such a place. I also went in the Burgoyne about the same time and it absolutely stank of damp and was similarly scruffy. Both are closed and probably won't be pubs ever again.

The only pub on the Manor estate I can think of nowadays is the Merrie Monk on Manor Park Centre.

I wouldn't know what the worst pub in Sheffield is as I'm a bit of a pub snob and as such I prefer to avoid bad pubs.

As to the best, I would suggest the Sheaf View and Shakespeare's as all round quality pubs.

Oh yes! Hard to quibble with those two but I do enjoy the Harlequin too at the mo! :love:

Its amazing to think of all the pubs that have gone, all 4 on the Norfolk Park, and in town Marples, Mossleys, Blue Bell, Top Three Tuns (Leopold Street), Golden Ball, Pump Tavern, Minerva, Yorkhire Grey, Saddle and Royal Oak (West Bar). Thank God the Dove is still there bless thier cotton socks!

Then at Hillsborough The Victoria, Rose Inn, and Cambridge.

Don't forget Stone House, Red Lion there's probably more, but old age winning tonight

Good pubs are all of the ones down kelham island, the sheaf view, the Blake hotel and the Hallamshire house.

If you're down the south end of the city (and you like your beer), The Ale House on Fraser Road in Woodseats/Millhouses is spot on.

Archived