Best and worst pubs?,

jemson

The Gaunt is well and truly open my friend. It amazes me how, but its open.

I know a few people who do go in and the beer / lager is suppose to be spot on !

The Gaunt was my local when I started drinking (under age! :hihi:) and the Magnet was spot on, a truly great pint, probably the best in the area.

It was always a tough pub (tough, not rough, the people were tough, but the lounge was quite posh for an big estate pub).

I have heard all sorts of the horror stories about the Gaunt over the years, as the Gleadless Valley estate slowly went down hill, never been in since about 1982, so my memories are probably of the rose tinted glasses variety.

There definitley was a "Gaunt mob", a loose knit gang of locals when I lived there, made up of various members of the Gill family (Wombat, Ligger), Williams family, etc., and they were reputed to be the most feared in the area, I remember a massive gang of lads from Woodeseats getting off the 33 bus (as it was back then) and seeing them go in to the Gaunt (I was about 13 years old, sat outside with my friends) and a few minutes later they all came legging it out , splitting up and running in all directions, chased by various Valley lads.

That was not a regular occurence though. In the 1970's, on a Sunday night, they had an early version of karaoke, with a bloke on Organ (Tim and Tessa Turners dad I think?) and a bloke on drums, and anyone could get up and sing. The lounge was packed, you had to be in at 7pm to get a seat (and this was a BIG pub, so you can guess how many people were in), these were the days when all the men would wear a shirt and tie to take the wife out at the weekend.

OK, just seen how much I have rambled on! Apologies! It did serve cracking beer, back in the day! :hihi:

The only pub on the Manor estate I can think of nowadays is the Merrie Monk on Manor Park Centre.

I wouldn't know what the worst pub in Sheffield is as I'm a bit of a pub snob and as such I prefer to avoid bad pubs.

As to the best, I would suggest the Sheaf View and Shakespeare's as all round quality pubs.

There hasn't been any pubs on the Manor for a few years now. That’s why I asked Barry which Manor pubs did he mean.

The Merrie Monk is in Manor Park.

The Gaunt was my local when I started drinking (under age! :hihi:) and the Magnet was spot on, a truly great pint, probably the best in the area.

It was always a tough pub (tough, not rough, the people were tough, but the lounge was quite posh for an big estate pub).

I have heard all sorts of the horror stories about the Gaunt over the years, as the Gleadless Valley estate slowly went down hill, never been in since about 1982, so my memories are probably of the rose tinted glasses variety.

There definitley was a "Gaunt mob", a loose knit gang of locals when I lived there, made up of various members of the Gill family (Wombat, Ligger), Williams family, etc., and they were reputed to be the most feared in the area, I remember a massive gang of lads from Woodeseats getting off the 33 bus (as it was back then) and seeing them go in to the Gaunt (I was about 13 years old, sat outside with my friends) and a few minutes later they all came legging it out , splitting up and running in all directions, chased by various Valley lads.

That was not a regular occurence though. In the 1970's, on a Sunday night, they had an early version of karaoke, with a bloke on Organ (Tim and Tessa Turners dad I think?) and a bloke on drums, and anyone could get up and sing. The lounge was packed, you had to be in at 7pm to get a seat (and this was a BIG pub, so you can guess how many people were in), these were the days when all the men would wear a shirt and tie to take the wife out at the weekend.

OK, just seen how much I have rambled on! Apologies! It did serve cracking beer, back in the day! :hihi:

All the families you mentioned i know. My Dad used to go in and sing-along with Tony Tee ! Used to leave the house at 7pm to get a seat ! Imagine that now eh ?

PM me and we can exchange names, i bet we know eachother. Im 49 and attended G.V. school.

Ale house is good although sometime randomly isn't open when you expect it would be...

Yes I found that a bit back went on a Sunday night and it was shut!

Seems an odd night to be closed would have thought most weekday nights would be quieter than a Sunday.

Went up to woodseats instead and pubs were packed!

Archived