Best and worst pubs?,

jemson

All the families you mentioned i know. My Dad used to go in and sing-along with Tony Tee ! Used to leave the house at 7pm to get a seat ! Imagine that now eh ?

PM me and we can exchange names, i bet we know eachother. Im 49 and attended G.V. school.

Yes mate, that was my school as well!

I must admit I've been enjoying the Harlequin quite recently myself. Had a cracking pint of Great Heck Citra in there the other day.

They had some Great Heck stuff on there last night and it was very good. They usually have some SWB too.

Re. Ale House - it is worth giving them a bell to check they are open.

They had some Great Heck stuff on there last night and it was very good. They usually have some SWB too.

We were going to go there a couple of Saturdays ago but pulled into the car park to find the place in darkness.Not a good sign for a Saturday night. Went to the Castle off Twentywell lane which,despite having a band on(who were crap!) it was very quiet. Great pint though and a very comfortable pub.

Yes I would have to say that Great Heck are quite the up and coming brewery at the moment. Their Yakima IPA is worth mentioning here. It was the beer I enjoyed most at Sheffield Beer festival and some friends from Essex who came up last week said that it was the beer they enjoyed most on their visit as well!

I have to say, believe it or not, that I had a great night IN TOWN a few weekends back, drinking real ale, top end of West Street and Division Street.

Around there, The Hop is a nice place for a night out and they do get some decent ales; they had a green hop festival last weekend. And The Bath is a great little place IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Not in Sheffield i accept, but a top pub i vouch for is the George and Dragon, in Wentworth, 8 local real ales of top quality, a traditional pub in an traditional village.

The food is of top quality, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for and lives up to the tag,value for money.

Its a pub i have used over 3 decades , its had its ups and downs, but going on this afternoons experience its back to its best. And top class.

No back ground music, no fruit machines, but a TV has been introduced to the top bar, usally the pet/dog welcome area.

An interesting location is The Brown Bear in town. Nice cheap Sam Smiths beer and the pub itself was tastefully tarted up a while back. Unfortunately every time I go in there someone tries to sell me some frozen meat or a pair of trainers.

I use the Brown Bear quite often in the daytime when in town, and must say I am suprised to hear that you've been offered stuff. Never seen it myself, and I don't doubt that Dave and Sue would not put up with it if they saw it happening.

Agree though about the nice cheap beer, a winning formula :thumbsup:

Archived