We are forced to pay 9* more than the French and 13* more than the Germans

Do you think paying 9-13 times more beer tax than French/Germans is fair?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think paying 9-13 times more beer tax than French/Germans is fair?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't know.
    • We should pay a little bit more than the French.
    • We should pay a little bit more than the Germans.
    • We should pay the same as the French.
    • We should pay the same as the Germans.
    • We should pay less than the French/Germans.
    • Beer tax should be abolished in the UK!
    • Arrrrrrr much!!!

I went to a supermarket in Portugal and the selection of chocolate and crisps was very poor, and it cost 2.5e for a bag of kettle chips or 1.5e for a snickers. It's not fair.

Probably because they are both imported products.

If you buy crisps / chocolate produced domestically they are way way cheaper.

I saw Dairy Milk for €3+ per bar earlier in a Spanish supermarket yet other similar bars were €1.

I've been drinking beer that costs 0.65€ per litre this week in Spain. I imagine similar bottles would be £2-£3 when back in the UK so I'm well aware we pay a fortune on beer. As has been mentioned though if not on beer it will only be applied elsewhere.

At least it's not on essential every day food items so you don't have to pay it.

• 2 weeks later...
British pub-goers pay up to ten times more tax on a pint of beer than other European drinkers.

A group of MPs is urging the government to scrap their 2008 beer duty escalator which has seen a 42 per cent increase on beer tax in the last four years.

With Britons paying an average of £177 a year in beer tax and a 15 per cent drop in beer sales, the MPs are set to debate the issue tomorrow in parliament.

In Spain and Germany, pub-goers pay just £15 in comparison and in France, the Netherlands and Belgium the bill is £21 to £39.

Since the introduction of the beer duty escalator, which increases the duty by two per cent above inflation each year, some 6,000 pubs closed their doors as beer taxation cost pub owners around £66,000 per year.

The British Beer and Pub Association have welcomed the MP's campaign after an e-petition was signed by more than 100,000 people.

Brigid Simmonds, the association’s chief executive, said: ‘I welcome this decision; which shows many MPs are indeed listening to the public on this issue.

‘This is about consumers - pub goers, beer drinkers and licensees who hate the tax which hits everyone hard.

‘The task now is to persuade the Government that excessive tax hikes are the wrong policy, hurting jobs and pubs when instead, we could be delivering growth and employment.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225595/Britons-pay-times-beer-tax-pubs-close.html#ixzz2AtB46NI4

Archived