Online grocery shopping-Should you/Do you tip ?

That's probably because American Unions have teeth! They're well connected!

I'm not so sure. US retailers (particularly supermarkets) are notorious for low-pay and they have very large numbers of 'intermittent part-time' workers (workers who are on-call and who only work a few hours a week.)

If you were employed in a 40-hour a week job, then your 'union dues' would probably be reasonably small part of your take-home pay. If you were working 8-12 hours a week and paying the same dues, then the union dues would represent a significant amount of your pay.

Both the employers and the unions have to spend money to conduct union business. I doubt that either would be interested - unless the employees were prepared to pay full union dues.

American supermarkets could pay better wages - but the customers would have to pick up the extra and it seems they are not willing to do that.

Where I shoo (Not Wally.Mart) the store has 'baggers' who bag up the groceries and take them out to your car. Those baggers are not employed by the store; they work for tips only (Usually teenagers making pocket money.) They make between £8 - £15 an hour and - being self-employed - are responsible for their own taxes and social security payments. ;);)

Archived