Does the stereotypical 'tight'..ooops I mean frugal Yorkshireman exist?

No, the ones who don't tip delivery people on the doorstep. I think as of yet, I'm the only one who does!

It would perhaps make an interesting poll!

...But the delivery people are presumably local anyway so if they don't tip others would they expect to be tipped themselves? :huh:

How come only the food guy gets a tip, what about the poor person for Asda home shopping who has to lug your weekly shop in from the van, does he deserve a tip too?

I don't use the Asda home delivery, but on reflection it may be a case where a tip might be appropriate. Not sure really!

It was a smei-hypothetical question, someone brought a similar thing up in another thread about how it's funny people would tip one person and not the other.

For example:

Tip the takeaway delivery guy, but you don't tip the postman or TNT/Citylink/Parcelforce man - they all deliver stuff to your door?

You'd tip the taxi man, but not a bus/train/tram driver.

How about:

You'd tip the takeaway delivery guy, but you wouldn't tip the guy that made the meal - even if you were at the same take-away you usually order a delivery from.

It was a smei-hypothetical question, someone brought a similar thing up in another thread about how it's funny people would tip one person and not the other.

For example:

Tip the takeaway delivery guy, but you don't tip the postman or TNT/Citylink/Parcelforce man - they all deliver stuff to your door?

You'd tip the taxi man, but not a bus/train/tram driver.

How about:

You'd tip the takeaway delivery guy, but you wouldn't tip the guy that made the meal - even if you were at the same take-away you usually order a delivery from.

The only safe thing to do is to tip everyone or no-one.

Which presumably takes us back to the initial question.

The only safe thing to do is to tip everyone or no-one.

Which presumably takes us back to the initial question.

I'm not actually sure how it works in my own head. But I sort of 'know' when 'I' think it's appropriate. There have been occasions in a restaurant where the service has been lousy or the food been poor and not left a tip.

Time was, we tipped the milkman and the dustbin man and the baker at Christmas. But that's dead and buried now.

Archived