A record number of people are at work in the UK as unemployment falls again

If car exports exceed domestic car sales for the first time since 1976 then that can't be because domestic sales are up and exports are down. It must be that exports have grown more quickly than domestic sales. Otherwise exports couldn't have overtaken doemstic sales.

Hang on. Its exports that exceed imports. Not exports exceeding domestic sales.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1067659

Please note I am in now way supporting the posters viewpoint because as you say more data is needed before you can come close to drawing any major conclusions, but it is an interesting point that the UK is exporting more cars than it imported for the first time since 1976.

weak domestic demand due to recession may be the underlying cause plus the exchange rate weakening.

I would agree with you up to a point, but the European market takes the vast majority of UK car exports. That market is flat or even falling. The far east is bouyant but the biggest growth has been the home market, and if sales there are at the expence of imports so much the better.

I see what you mean. Domestic consumers could be buying more British made cars rather than imports. And we could be exporting more. But I've lost interest after reading too many articles about trade deficits.

weak domestic demand due to recession may be the underlying cause plus the exchange rate weakening.

Or not as the case may be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19958512

New car sales in the European Union have fallen for the 12th month in a row in September, according to the region's biggest carmakers.

Demand across the 27 European Union countries fell 10.8% from last year.

But of the major markets, the UK was the only one to grow, up 8.2% from the same month last year, said the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.

I see what you mean. Domestic consumers could be buying more British made cars rather than imports. And we could be exporting more. But I've lost interest after reading too many articles about trade deficits.

Me too. Rearrange into a well known phrase. Off to pub I am.

From the Telegraph article: "...Going ahead, the rise in the pound as the eurozone crisis boosts demand for the currency could harm exports, as they will become relatively more expensive."

In Jan 2002, £1.00 bought €1.60

In 2007, (which isn't that long ago and certainly occurred between 1976 and now) £1.00 bought €1.46.

Now £1.00 buys €1.23.

How much has the Pound increased in strength against the Euro during the last 12 years?

Neither China nor the US uses Euros, so I don't see how the exchange rate between the Pound and the Euro would affect them.

The Mini (and the factory at Cowley has built well over 2 million of them - 80% of which are exported) is very popular in the US.

More good news for British job seekers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19975719

The number of people in employment rose to a record of almost 30 million, the Office for National Statistics said.

The number of people out of work in the UK has continued to decline.

Unemployment fell by 50,000 to 2.53m in the three months to August, taking the jobless rate down to 7.9% from 8.1%.

From the Telegraph article: "...Going ahead, the rise in the pound as the eurozone crisis boosts demand for the currency could harm exports, as they will become relatively more expensive."

In Jan 2002, £1.00 bought €1.60

In 2007, (which isn't that long ago and certainly occurred between 1976 and now) £1.00 bought €1.46.

Now £1.00 buys €1.23.

How much has the Pound increased in strength against the Euro during the last 12 years?

Neither China nor the US uses Euros, so I don't see how the exchange rate between the Pound and the Euro would affect them.

The Mini (and the factory at Cowley has built well over 2 million of them - 80% of which are exported) is very popular in the US.

Why are Forumers who live in France, Florida/Bavaria bigging this up?

Archived