A record number of people are at work in the UK as unemployment falls again

The national debt is still increasing because an annual deficit still exists.

You cannot (as suggested) pay back a deficit, you can simply reduce it.

What you pay back is the national debt, and as that is still increasing it has clearly not been 1/4 paid back!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/oct/18/deficit-debt-government-borrowing-data

So why did you claim

The actual deficit is still increasing year on year.

Its probably you that should stick to the day job. That's pretty much what I was pointing out in my post.

Maybe you should have pointed out to robcalder that what he actually said made no sense then.

Unfortunately Cameron and Osborne, having acheived this, also having paid more than a quarter of the deficit off

You cannot pay off part of a deficit, you can reduce it. The thing you can pay of (which I assumed he was referring to) is the national debt, which has not been at all paid off.

Paid of part of the deficit???

I think you might mean have reduced the annual deficit by a quarter. The actual deficit is still increasing year on year.

It’s the debt that is increasing not the deficit, the deficit is falling.

Just re-read your post and I think you meant debt and not deficit.

Grain being the operative word......Aren't farmers grain harvests down this year?.....:hihi:

I don't believe everything I hear 100% but as the ONS published the bad news then why would they lie about the good? It's not as though they are against showing the downside..if you get my drift..

So how would you have worded the OP to reflect a record number of people at work as unemployment falls again.

I wouldn't try to spin a small increase in the % level of employment as a "record" number of people in employment.

It's positive news, but the "record" is irrelevant, it's a small decrease in the % unemployed. Tell it like it is, mildly positive, not a misleading "record" high in employment.

It's not just a drop in unemployment..that could be adjusted by reclassifying people..but hasn't there been an increase in people actually in a job..I'd have thought that was harder to make up...

Yes, I agree. I'm saying there has been some improvement whereas cliched lefties like Mecky would have us believe it's all a big Tory con. I've never voted Tory but I'm not that cynical.

I wouldn't try to spin a small increase in the % level of employment as a "record" number of people in employment.

It's positive news, but the "record" is irrelevant, it's a small decrease in the % unemployed. Tell it like it is, mildly positive, not a misleading "record" high in employment.

I believe the term record means more people in work than ever before. How would you headline it?

There are more people in work than ever before..and fewer people out of work than 15 months ago...I'm really not sure what your issue is with these two things...

Because robcalder had misused the term and I was replying to him... Or didn't you bother to look at the post I was quoting?

Yes I read his post. But it still doesn't explain your claim. "The actual deficit is still increasing year on year".

Because it isn't.

Archived