A record number of people are at work in the UK as unemployment falls again

Yes, I agree. I'm saying there has been some improvement whereas cliched lefties like Mecky would have us believe it's all a big Tory con. I've never voted Tory but I'm not that cynical.

Same here....it seems strange that Mecky et al will believe all the bad news but won't accept any of the better kind...political dogma causes lots of problems for us all..

Some people only want part time jobs because the 'system' is such that doing any more hours affects their benefits to a degree where it's not worth working.
It's not representative in the least of course, but my Mrs -and a couple of her friends- only started working P/T (deliberately so) this year, after extended 'maternity leaves'. No question of benefits involved at all, in any of these cases.

So, as with my earlier question re. private sector starting to make up for public sector job losses, it would be interesting to see some official ('proper') stats for these specific issues. If only to determine whether it's a case of economic policy at work, or continued systemic imbalance (benefit thresholds impeding F/T jobs take-up), or a mix of both, and in what proportions.

Some people only want part time jobs because the 'system' is such that doing any more hours affects their benefits to a degree where it's not worth working.

Yep you're right...it just seems that to some on here a part time job is something that's bad and not wanted by anyone..

I don't believe everything I hear 100% but as the ONS published the bad news then why would they lie about the good? It's not as though they are against showing the downside..if you get my drift..

I'm just a bit cynical that's all. The benefits system is ever changing, and it's easy to lose a certain number of people (in the jobless figures) by changing the benefits they get or simply not paying benefits to certain groups...etc....it's been done before, and I daresay it will be done again!

Massaging the figures or creative accounting. Call it what you will!

Same here....it seems strange that Mecky et al will believe all the bad news but won't accept any of the better kind...political dogma causes lots of problems for us all..

I agree again, when in my twenties, fresh out of university I was a leftie with an agenda e.g. I naturally looked for evidence to back up my worldview while dismissing that which did not. Nowadays at the ripe age of 37 I simply look at things based on evidence like most balanced people. A balanced person is right wing in some areas and left wing in others. My views on unions would make a Daily Mail reader explode whilst my views on law and order would make them offer me their finest sherry.

Yep you're right...it just seems that to some on here a part time job is something that's bad and not wanted by anyone..

There are a certain few people which are completely suited to part time work. Say moms with kids at school working 9:00 to 3:00 or something like that. But were it not for the 'system' I think nobody would be choice work part time. Not to earn a living 'proper' anyway!

I'm just a bit cynical that's all. The benefits system is ever changing, and it's easy to lose a certain number of people (in the jobless figures) by changing the benefits they get or simply not paying benefits to certain groups...etc....it's been done before, and I daresay it will be done again!
When you think about the whole ATOS saga, and the reported record number of incapacity benefit recipients 'chucked out' onto JSA in recent times, you'd expect this to impact jobless rate negatively.

Massaging the figures or creative accounting. Call it what you will!

I think the difference now to when Labour where in is that this government is moving the people that Labour moved from JSA to disability benefits back to JSA, so the JSA figures will have increased.

When you think about the whole ATOS saga, and the reported record number of incapacity benefit recipients 'chucked out' onto JSA in recent times, you'd expect this to impact jobless rate negatively.

They cut unemployment for years by increasing the number of students, but even that hasn't increased this time around.

Archived