Romantic or Corny?

Is this a romantic :love: or corny idea? :gag::help:

As a photographer, especially a wedding photographer, I believe that capturing all elements of the beauty and sentiment of the beginning of your journey with your future partner as being something that couples would want to reflect back on. However is it romantic or a corny idea to have your proposal photographed?

I have asked this question before and had responses from the ladies saying that it just wouldn't work as the proposal is too spontaneous but is it really? I'd bet that your other half has probably spent weeks, if not, months, planning how and where it would be done.

It may not all go perfectly to plan every time, but, ignoring the logistics, would you consider having your proposal recorded in a from afar in subtle, professional sequence of photos, romantic or corny?

:help::help::help::help::help:

Wow a very candid response there. Thank you.

Does everyone agree?

Btw Halibut, can I ask if you are male or female?

I'm male, in my 40's and got married in July. I think proposal is a very intimate thing and suspect that the presence of a photographer would just spoil some of that - not to mention possibly adding a degree of pressure (that wouldn't otherwise be there) for the person being proposed to to say yes.

I have to say I find it quite tacky as well. For me it seems all a bit American-ish, but that's probably my inner Yorkshirewoman. The photo posted isn't too bad, although if that was done to me (aka fiancee organised it) I would feel a bit odd that some fella with a camera (professional or not) was hiding in some bushes taking a photo of an intimate moment.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/07/stealthy-photo-of-marriage-proposal-goes-viral-on-the-internet/

Here's an example of a 'supposed' unplanned photo of a proposal which might indicate the sort of distance from the subject I was referring to.

That's quite a charming story, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a planned situation.

All very good feedback thank you.

I agree that the proximity of the photographer may also be proportional to the invasion of the moment but from the discussions I have had with other photographers that currently offer this service it is always done at a comfortable distance. However the thought of being viewed as 'some fella with a camera, hiding in the bushes' makes me feel a little uncomfortable as well.

I would also have to agree in saying for me a definite no. Mainly because the moment was so intimate and wouldn't have wanted anyone else around, evening taking pictures to look back. I have the memory in my mind and for me, that is all I need for the proposal. The wedding itself has enough photos to celebrate and remember, I don't think the proposal should form part of that...Might be worth making this thread a poll?

Archived