I really cannot understand the tipping "system"

The tipping culture is an American thing, and as usual yanky bs has come over to the UK. They expect a tip every time, every person at every place.

They can bugger off, they get paid by the company, I pay the company for whatever services it is and they can pay their workers.

You can get off a bus half way through your journey if you wish?

you can't tell the 97 bus driver who is driving a vehicle that is supposed to end up in Shirecliffe to forget that, somebody just texted me and I don't want to go to Shirecliffe any more, it has to be Fox Hill, and step on it, I'm in a hurry.

there is no real tipping culture in the UK compared to the US and countries that are more influenced by the US than this one is. Extra service like drivers carrying luggage yes you should pay them extra, but there's no real tipping here, beyond a 'keep the change' kind of thing.

some people do tip generously but they are not the norm and I've heard taxi drivers that have worked in other places, complain that in Sheffield, people tip less than in other large cities.

you can't tell the 97 bus driver who is driving a vehicle that is supposed to end up in Shirecliffe to forget that, somebody just texted me and I don't want to go to Shirecliffe any more, it has to be Fox Hill, and step on it, I'm in a hurry.

Quite true.

But you can get off and go and catch a different bus.

If you change the destination of the taxi you will pay for the distance driven, so unless 'step on it' has some affect that you think is worth a tip there is still nothing to tip for.

How do you know this?

I've never had a taxi driver express any expectation for a tip. Never mind what would probably be a 25% one.

I have seen quite a few of them with t-shirts on with the words "Tip me at least £2 per journey" boldly written across them. I believe this to be a hint.:(

I wonder how many of you that tip in restaurants realise that some owners pay their staff out of tips and the staff you thought were getting the money infact do not .

I'd never tip on a card, just leave some cash on the table, for that reason. It's cheeky when they leave the amount blank for you to fill in, 0 chance of any of that tip getting to the staff.

I'll tip for good service, but imo it should all be included in the price.

Archived