Silver Blades Ice rink

I played on the stage at Silver Blades in 1966/67 with a local group called the Bluesrollers, it was an embarrassing night because our PA broke down and the rink let us use their PA, but they only put it through to the bar upstairs, so in the bar they only heard vocals and no instruments, and in the rink they heard instruments and no vocals, so after playing 'Wild Thing' by the Troggs, we were asked to leave the stage. It must have been around the time the Swinging blue jeans had been there, because there were washing lines strewn across the rink with about 50 pairs of jeans hung on them. Happy times.

• 11 months later...
Did anyone go th Silver Blades in the 60's. Remember such regulars such as :

Pete Briggs

Harry Stocks

Susan Wildgoose

Corrine Sunter

Ray Davies

Peter Key

Linda Green

Jackie Murphy

Susan Ibbotson

Roger Woffinden.

Then there was the staff

Mr Wilson & Mr Williamson

Kathy Conroy

Little Bill worked in Cafe (think he is dead now).

Chris Hey (killed in a car crash)

Raif Caldicott

Trevor Willmott

Couple of names missing from the list.. 2 red coat stewards. Vic ( who was, through likeness, always assumed to be my brother or cousin ) and John ( hope he finally got the compo he was due from an earlier car crash ).. Happy days!

Does anyone remember the DJ known as the Mighty Atom??

He was on Come Dine With Me about six months ago... He was at Silver Blades around 1967, I used to go around 3 to 4 times a week.

There is an interesting story about Mighty Atom. his pickle fortune heiress ex girlfriend, Elton John, Bernie Taupin, Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry and others. It was related to me by an ex roadie of Steampacket, Long John Baldry's band.

Search the net and it'll turn up.

There was a rumour, in the sixties that Mighty Atom had wooden blocks fitted to the pedals of his Jaguar so that he could reach them. Me and my mates looked through the windows of various Jags in the car park of the Silver Blades but never found one with the mythical blocks.

I used to go on Sunday nights in 1967. Then upstairs to the Heartbeat club, where I saw a disc jockey for the first time.

The DJ’s were Glynn Ferreby and Chris Hey, the latter was tragically killed in a freak car accident on Cutthroat Bridge at Ladybower.

My dad was Peter Key and married my mum Linda Gibson both now passed away. Ray Davies emigrated to Canada in the 70s

Hi When did Peter die Both Gary Mills and Myself were friemds with him at Myers Grove.

I remember Pete Briggs by name. I also knew Harry Stocks. We used to hang out at the Heartbeat. He seemed to have a new ritzy girlfriend every other week. :-) Would have been 69/70 or so.

Also had a part-time job at the Mecca Bowling Alley. They closed it and moved most of the staff to London. Thought most of the people there were pretty nice, the bowling alley alley manager used to lend me his car sometimes.